Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo & Smoke!

Hi,
    Does anyone know what could be wrong with the system in my Surf, I have a Sony Xplod head unit, Xplod front speakers, and Xplod 6x9's in the rear. They have been working great since i fitted them , but yesterday, after starting up , i turned the cd player on and the sound was only coming from the front speakers,and the ariel did not rise, and of course no radio stations. If anyone has any answers to this I would be grateful.
    Maybe more importantly, I have been getting gurgling noises from my rad and overflow, worried that the head was on it's way, i checked the oil, there seems to be no water in the oil. I have white smoke bellowing out, even 30 mins into the journey, especially on pull-off. I checked the search facility, and no-one seems to have had exactly the same probs as me, although "burping the system" sprung up a lot. Do you think this would cure it, or do you think that there is something more expensive looming?
    Cheers

PS, is there a website where i can find out what model my Surf is? on the reg doc it doesn't say what it is and there are no markings on the body.

Have you got a button marked A-F on your stereo as SONY systems seam to do this. Press A/F when stereo is on with CD in player aerial should pop & you will now have sound in the rear.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      Have you got a button marked A-F on your stereo as SONY systems seam to do this. Press A/F when stereo is on with CD in player aerial should pop & you will now have sound in the rear.

Ah, will take a gander at lunch, cheers.....was hoping it would be something simple!

Comment

White smoke from the exhaust can mean there is water in the combustion chambers- which can only come from the coolant system. With a 3.0L it's unlikely (but not impossible) you have a cracked head, more likely to be a leaky head gasket, which obviously is not so dire.

Check in the rad and coolant reservior for traces of oil floating on top. Keep an eye on coolant level to see if you're loosing any coolant. Until you diagnose the problem don't drive far or you may result with a cracked head.

Give me a call on 01926 740226 tonight after 7:30 and I'll see if I can pop over for a look later.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
          White smoke from the exhaust can mean there is water in the combustion chambers- which can only come from the coolant system. With a 3.0L it's unlikely (but not impossible) you have a cracked head, more likely to be a leaky head gasket, which obviously is not so dire.

Check in the rad and coolant reservior for traces of oil floating on top. Keep an eye on coolant level to see if you're loosing any coolant. Until you diagnose the problem don't drive far or you may result with a cracked head.

Give me a call on 01926 740226 tonight after 7:30 and I'll see if I can pop over for a look later.

Nevillef
          Nice one, appreciate that, i'll give you a call later then, I'll keep my fingers crossed as i cant afford anything too damaging!! I'll find out when i speak to you later , but do you drive the blue surf with the chrome/blue wheels in between kenilworth and hatton way?

Comment

Nevillef
            This garage deals in imports:

South Warwickshire Autos Ltd
            Garage Services
            The Sidings/Warwick Rd Ettington WARWICKSHIRE CV37 7PN
            01789 748193

Give them a ring a about fitting a new head gasket.

Nevillef

Comment

This garage deals in imports:

South Warwickshire Autos Ltd
              Garage Services
              The Sidings/Warwick Rd Ettington WARWICKSHIRE CV37 7PN
              01789 748193

Give them a ring a about fitting a new head gasket.

Nevillef
              cheers mate, i've had to use the truck for work today but am hopefully parking it up tonight. I'm gonna see if i can borrow a motor until I can afford the repairs (I may as well get the service done at the same time) I have checked this morning with a garage and they said approx 400. Maxed my o/d at the moment so looking at next month before i could afford it. I'll prob give the above garage a call as well to compare prices.
              Thanks again for your help and advice mate....hopefully i'll be trucking again soon!
              daz

Comment

You could always ask TONYN to do it for you.
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  You could always ask TONYN to do it for you.
                  Marky, dont think i should be driving it anywhere tho thats the only prob, plus of course, lack of the cash!! I have asked my step-bro to ask his mates as apparently they work on diesels, I'll have to wait and see what they say (good thing is they have means of picking it up)

BTW, not that it's of much importance at the mo, but the AF button on the head unit was on, so i'll take another look at that at a later date (maybe while it's parked up! lol )

Cheers for all the suggestions though, might lay low for a bit and get saving!

Comment

Oky doke & good luck.
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Sounds like the smoking is your main concern to get checked here but with regards the stereo - try this thread: http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...9928#post99928

Comment

i was looking to buy from ettington cos its just down the road, chap told me they were getting several surfs in 'next week' for about a month, but none turned up... i've had mine for over a month and they still havent had any in... they seem friendly enough though... a chap in there said they would put their spare 3.0 in a 2.4 for 250 quid.... sounds like a bargain... maybe...
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Well, not looking good, at the moment i can't afford to get the job done on the beast, so it is parked up looking sorry for itself. Got 9 days off work now and had plans for it, but hey. Think me step bro's got some rustbucket honda that he can lend me for a few days to get around a bit! The old dears tutting and saying "well, you should have kept your MINI...blah blah blah" The other halfs not taking having no wheels too bad tho, so thats ok. Mechanics I have spoke to mention that it doesn't usually happen to 3ltrs!! Cheers for everyones help/advice, much appreciated.

PS, think I am cursed with anything with 4 wheels, took my petrol r/c car out over the field last night......and wrote it off!!

Comment

cant help much with the surf, but theres a new rc car shop opened in warwick, where the orange tree pub used to be just off the market place (its next door to my shop!!) he seems to be able to fix anything... good luck chap
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                              cant help much with the surf, but theres a new rc car shop opened in warwick, where the orange tree pub used to be just off the market place (its next door to my shop!!) he seems to be able to fix anything... good luck chap
                              Ha, yeah, thats where I take it! I've took the parts off I need replacing so will send someone to get them for me at the weekend, cheers....think I've seen your Surf parked on the pavement opposite that shop actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X