Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory map

just got mem-map and cant get my head round it

to programme a route you have to put lots of way points which seems a pain in its self ? does it not give you any navigation after that, or do you have to drive down the road keeping check on the map ?

or am i doing it all wrong as normal

Fugawi seems to be the same.
    I havent got my head round this yet but I have realised it isnt really a route finding software app, having to do same as you with the waypoints and the only screen I can find at the moment is a compass screen that shows the bearing of the next waypoint.

Comment

Why not do what I do ?

Mark out a track on the pc, and send that to your pda (or what have you), a nice little job to be done during an evening of boring tele .

On the day find your actual location on the map displayed on the portable device (look for a quartered circle, then you will see an icon down the bottom of screen like a long padlock, once your receiver is locked in select this icon and it will centre the circle, and as you drive the map will scroll keeping your location in the centre
      you will also see a line from from the circle, this is the direction you are travelling in.

I know this sounds long winded but it does work

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

In addition, if you look on www.offroadroutes.net then some of routes come complete with memory map overlays (.mmo files). Although you do have to purchase these.

Open MM on your pc, and click on the PDA drop down menu and click "install pocket navigator". This will install to your PDA

On PC zoom to the area you want to create a route for and click on the "Track" icon. Go to your start position on the map and click the mouse, move mouse to your next position, such as a junction or bend in the road and click again, this will give you point to point tracks, alternatively, click and hold and trace the route (very time consuming!).

When you reach the end of your route, right click and click on "Convert to Route" on the drop down menu.

Zoom back out till you have the area on screen that you wish to send to PDA and click on the PDA drop down menu. Click on the "Send Visible Map Portion to PDA", this will send only the map on the screen at the time to save PDA memory.

Click on the "OVerlay" drop down and then "Export Visible". This will save your new route (overlay) to your PC, then copy the .mmo file to PDA.

On your PDA, select the overlay you saved and bob's yer uncle!

There are other ways to do this, but basic principle is the same. I find this way very easy to get on with.

Good Luck

Dan
        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

once the route has been sent to the pda is it just a case of keep checking the map to make sure your going the right way ????? it doesnt verbally tell you or warn you if you make a wrong turn ?
          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leejs_uk
            once the route has been sent to the pda is it just a case of keep checking the map to make sure your going the right way ????? it doesnt verbally tell you or warn you if you make a wrong turn ?
            You got it, do not confuse this with a street navigation program.

It shows you the map, and it can track you using the GPS signal.

Routes can be shown on the screen (pc or pda) as maps, and interestingly as elevation & speed profiles.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
              You got it, do not confuse this with a street navigation program.

It shows you the map, and it can track you using the GPS signal.

Routes can be shown on the screen (pc or pda) as maps, and interestingly as elevation & speed profiles.

Trev
              Here's an example map with the route in red, and the segmented circle clearly shown

Here's the speed profile

Here's the elevation profile

note both profiles are for the same route

you can also (I haven't tried this) assign a picture to a map reference.

Trev

Comment

Hehehe, so you use AVG too! Lol!
                I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                  Hehehe, so you use AVG too! Lol!
                  Yep

I does the job for me

Trev

Comment

Working...
                  X