Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.A.C. AA. Greenflag. or whatever?

Hi y'all,
    Can anyone tell me the best 'breakdown/ recovery service' to subscribe to, or which one is more Surf friendly.
    Cheerz.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
    Hi y'all,
    Can anyone tell me the best 'breakdown/ recovery service' to subscribe to, or which one is more Surf friendly.
    Cheerz.
    It's personal choice isn't it ?

I wouldn't touch the AA with a bargepole as they shafted me & my surf & then denied all responsibility . They cost me hundreds of pounds.
    I'm sure other people on here will tell you they've had great service.
    I now use Brittania . I've had occasion to call them several times & it's a 5 star service.
    However they do seem to use local firms to respond to call-outs , so it depends who you get.
    Also the local recovery services are sometimes used by several of the national firms. So no matter who you are with you would see the same truck.
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

I have only been with the AA, so can only comment on their service. They have relayed me back from North Yorkshire once, and Scotland twice to Southampton. They responded well when I destroyed the piston on my motorcycle, and when I shredded a tyre on the trailer. I choose them because it was me that was covered, not the vehicle, so I never have any worries.
      When you contact them you do have to point out it is a very large heavy 4X4 with automatic transmision, as their call centre staff like to think it's a RAV4 (must fit in one of the boxes on their tick sheet I presume). But they have only sent a power lift for me once, I now automatically tell them that I need a low loader, and that's what they send.

Anyone in the other groups please respond, so I don't sound like an AA sales man pleasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee ee.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

used the AA the other week when JET gave me crap diesel - they thought it was injectors/pump but took me to my garage on a tilt n slide jobbie which was fun.
        Had a fun convo with the operator who was tellin me my Surf is an MPV - I told her its a 4x4, she says is it an MPV? you get the idea

Homestart etc etc is good too. On a family holiday years back we were relayed from Scotland with the caravan back to London and stopped at our other campsite en route for a couple of days too!
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick

Anyone in the other groups please respond, so I don't sound like an AA sales man pleasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee ee.
          I've been with the AA for years, been recovered in a Full size Dodge crewcab pickup (that was longer than the first lowloader they sent) from Cornwall, various cars, the pick-up 3 times in one summer after offroad days and it's been covered in mud with no problems.

Had one bad time were we waited all day, but was a bank holiday, but overall can't complain.

Always been relayed home with no problems.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

when you call any service, no matter how clear you make it that you need recovery, they will send the van to look first... then they've got to you within their quota time and it doesn't matter if you wait there all day!

nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I have been with the RAC for a couple of years and have had cause to use them 3 times (when I was having all my overheating/head problems on my old surf). Summary of my experiences: pretty bad.

1st: Told 1 hour, finally recovered 5 hours later at 1AM. There were several phonecalls by me in this time, never once was I called back by RAC or apologised to at all. Complained and got £20 worth of high-street vouchers.

2nd: Told 1 hour, took van about 2 hours to get to me, spends 2 mins looking "yeah you need a low-loader" - wait another 1 and a half hours...

3rd: Told 1 hour, took van about 2 hours to get to me, spends 2 mins looking, yeah you guessed it "you need a low-loader" they tow me around the corner where I wait another 2 hours.

I will be going elsewhere when my renewal comes up...
              No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

We use Hilux Crewcabs in the Coastguard and the Service uses the AA - However this seems purely to do with cost rather than anything else. We we got the vehicle new at the station it came with 1 yrs free RAC which was great as we have used both and the RAC seemed more professional. Again this was mainly due to the AA jobbing it out to a local garage which the RAC may do near you.

I have noticed that if you join the Toyota owners club you get a year's RAC thrown in for £55. Not sure if you an join with an imported toyota though..? anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by coastguard999
                  I have noticed that if you join the Toyota owners club you get a year's RAC thrown in for £55. Not sure if you an join with an imported toyota though..? anyone?
                  nope!

Comment

Thanks for all responses, looks like the AA then, 'cos all I want really is to be recovered back to my house.

Comment

RAC with my insurance
                      Enjoying Life after Cancer
                      Pops

Comment

Got RAC. They recovered my 1st gen on Sunday 2 weeks ago. Was told 1 hour, then told 40 mins but the guy turned up in 20 mins. Then said, yeah, you need a recovery truck - said it would be an hour or so. It turned up in 1 hour and 5 mins.
                        For my first ever recovery, I thought they were pretty good.

Comment

AA actually took 4 hours to recover us when my mates engine blew up... i didn't mind cos i was on holiday!... woman bitching at me though....

pretty good though, dropped us off at her house and took my mate and car to his house all on my membership.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Thanks for all responses, looks like the AA then, 'cos all I want really is to be recovered back to my house.
                            I'm with GREENFLAG for the surf and bike.... but can't comment on their service as i've never broken down
                            YET!!!
                            lets go get dirty...

Comment

as pops said have mine with the insurance to ,check with yours they may offer it already at a small cost usually cheaper because it is classed as a second policy,

Comment

Working...
                              X