Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would YOU buy

Hi all,

Am seriously considering buying a Surf or 4Runner and stumbled across this forum (isn't the 'net great? )

I've trawled through much of the material in here and apart from the ol' "2.4 head issue", everything else seems pretty sane and the standard niggly things.

So my question is this: If money was no object (let's presume that!), what Surf / 4Runner would YOU buy. Diesel, petrol, 2.4, 3.0, manual, auto??

Reasons WHY would be most appreciated as that'll help me in my decision.

muchos gracias.

Money no object ???

The answer is I wouldn't !! I would buy a 4.2d Landcruiser Amazon!!!!

But if your set on a surf I would go for a 4th Gen Imported Surf. Iv'e not seen one on the road yet but they look v.nice on the net and I've seen a couple for sale around 12-14K. Diesel and 3ltr (i think they scrapped the 2.4 a long time ago!)

Andy

Comment

For me - late 2nd gen 3.0, then spare the extra dosh on modifying it where I wanted to (nice alloys, knobbly tyres, ait lockers, etc etc.. (well you said money's no object - .
      Personally, I'm not a big 3rd gen lover simply because I prefer the look of the 2nd gen. 3rd gen is a great truck if you like its looks.
      I wouldnt buy a 4th gen - for me they are moving more towards the soft SUV look of all modern 4x4's.

Personal preference - go and drive a few and see which you prefer.
      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
        Money no object ???

The answer is I wouldn't !! I would buy a 4.2d Landcruiser Amazon!!!!

Andy
        LOL. Let me re-phrase. Money no object w.r.t Surf or 4Runner as they are in the price range!

What years (approx) are the 3rd Gen / 4th Gen etc. (This is all new to me).

Comment

Have a look here ! 3rd Gen 96-2002 4th Gen 2003-2004

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/t...2003/index.asp

U.S and no diesel though

Andy

Comment

for me it'd be the same as Linda said - the latest possible 2nd Gen 3.0TD + mods,
            I think the 2nd gen looks better than 3rd gens and Landcruisers etc.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I'd buy an early to mid 1990's 4.2L diesel Land Cruiser Amazon VX too if had more cash (not that much more) to run the thing! Prices are quite reasonable now compared to when I was looking 3-4 years ago. For the money I paid for my Surf in 2002 you can pick one up now. Then they were about £12-14K and out of my range.

Still I'm happy enough with the Surf but it's got no diff locks, and no solid fron axle. Both of which are usefull offroad.

Nevillef

Comment

well here goes my , money no object, i,d keep the surf i,ve got and, ahem, and er, buy an erm, bowler l**d R*v*r 5ltr V8

ship

Comment

Money's no problem eh ?
                  I'd buy a 2nd gen 3 litre ssrg and give it the full makeover, lift kit,nice alloys,chunky tyres, bash plates etc etc.....

Andy.

Comment

One of mine that I have for sale!!

Have a second generation Black SSR X Ltd for sale.

Mint - Bloke (garage owner) who did MOT on it recently was blown away with how good the condition was. When he went under the car he was so taken aback by how good it looked that he invited all the other mechanics in the garage to have a look!!! After £5,250 for it.

Better still I work in Halifax so could arrange to let you see it one lunch time or after work if you're interested.

No pressure - let me know if you want to find out more - can send pics and details etc.

Rob
                    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Or go completely mad....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...543061088&rd=1

if only I dare....

2nd Gen for me, or 80 series landcruiser, same arse...

Could be tempted with a Troopie though...

Comment

I go with what Linda said, it's a Toyota so it just keeps on going, spend the extra cash on mods, get off-road and wear a grin thats too big for your face
                        Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

Originally posted by ship
                          well here goes my , money no object, i,d keep the surf i,ve got and, ahem, and er, buy an erm, bowler l**d R*v*r 5ltr V8

ship
                          Nah you dont want to do that..Wot I would do is get my 1st gen re-vamped and then spend the rest on one of Mr Milners offroading racers,to me they look better than a Bowler...
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Ha ha I would buy a 4 runner v6 because I love the sound and its by far the best car around!!!!!
                            Plus as money is no object fuel consumption is not an issue!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X