Sorting My Surf Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting My Surf Out

Friday: Fitted new steering idler bushes (again) and new pitman arm.

Saturday: Fitted new inner and outer CV boots.

Sunday: Refilled one of the CV boots with grease and fitted a new retainer (cable tie this time) cos one had come off mudproofing my o/s wheel arch.
    Put 1L of oil into transfer case (I think the rear bearing seal is weeping - it was full last October. Removed steering wheel and re-centred it (replacement pitman arm didn't have alignment marks like the old one).

Monday: Removing Air con rad because it is in the way of every !!!!!! thing and how often do we need air con in this fair isle? Checking and topping up front and rear diffs. Getting tracking/alignment checked.

Good news though. Bump steer is almost eliminated and even though the tracking hasn't been checked yet, she keeps a straight line with both hands off the wheel.

Question for TonyN. The o/s of the front diff that the knuckle slides into. How much movement should there be on that bit of the diff? On mine it moves up and down by about 1/2" This seems a bit excessive to me.
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 17 April 2005, 22:51.
    It's only a hobby!

You say you fitted steering idler bushes again, do they wear out quickly? should I check mine ? How could I tell if they are worn, symptoms e.t.c.?

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

Question for TonyN. The o/s of the front diff that the knuckle slides into. How much movement should there be on that bit of the diff? On mine it moves up and down by about 1/2" This seems a bit excessive to me.
      Yup, they all move a little, I'd say about 1/4" at the most. Yours seem a little big, if its not leaking oil past the seal, it'll be OK. (as long as you have oil in the diff!) Keep an eye on it, or fit manual hubs
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony. That's put my mind at rest.

Bushwacker. The symptoms are uneven tyre wear, despite the tracking being correct and a tendancy for the wheels to grab the tramlines, white lines, cracks in the road etc. I replaced them again as a precaution as I am in the process of doing all the suspension bushes. The difference has been massive. The truck now goes exactly where I point it.
        Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 18 April 2005, 11:19.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          Cheers Tony. That's put my mind at rest.

Bushwacker. The symptoms are uneven tyre wear, despite the tracking being correct and a tendancy for the wheels to grab the tramlines, white lines, cracks in the road etc. I replaced them again as a precaution as I am in the process of doing all the suspension bushes. The difference has been massive. The truck now goes exactly where I point it.
          Cheers for that Phil,
          I'm happy to say I'm not experiencing any of the above yet!

Oh B****r, I've gone and said it out loud now.
          Must go and rub a tree!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Cheers for that Phil,
            I'm happy to say I'm not experiencing any of the above yet!

Oh B****r, I've gone and said it out loud now.
            Must go and rub a tree!
            I found out that I didn't need the brake shoes so I just adjusted them for now. The shoes are in the garage for when I do.
            Having sorted out all the above (diffs were drained and filled today) I have noticed that the power steering is a little lumpy when the truck is cold. The PAS belt is not slipping so I am going to put fresh fluid in. Oh and I have noticed a bit of a drone when taking left hand bends so I will be checking the wheel bearings on my next day off.
            I have just spent four rest days working harder than I ever do at work!

PS. Tha air con rad and about 30Lbs of best Devils Pit clay have been removed. Now I am looking for a slimline intercooler to fit in the void.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
            X