Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used surf (2.4)

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, and am planning to buy a used surf at the weekend on a k reg. I have been using the search facility, but couldn't really find what I am looking for.

What I need to know is: Is there a list of questions that I really should ask when buying a surf?

so far I have got:

1. Has the head been changed?

and that's all! but what else should I ask that could potentially be a deal breaker? please feel free to point me to previous threads..

Any help much appreciated!

Sam

2. are you gonna fit a UK spec stereo
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

There was a thread somewhere giving a bunch of little 'tricks' to do that you can use as bargaining points to lower the price (they make it look like something is wrong, when it isn't).

It was things like:
      1. From a cold start, try and start the engine as soon as the glow plugs have gone out, it probably won't start too easily.
      2. With the engine off, lower and raise the rear window, it'll labor a little.
      3. With the steering wheel on full lock, drive around a little. There will probably be a grinding noise, it's just the bump stops need greasing.

Can't find the thread right now, but might help you get a little off the price.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

try this
        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

3. say "wow a telly!... show me how it works!"... it won't get a picture over here and that's gotta bring down the price!

4. say "wow sat nav!... show me how it works!"... as above!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Check the tyres for cracks - the first thing I did with Hippo was change her boots.

At this rate they will pay you to take it off their hands

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Well thanks for all your help - I take dlivery next week.

#Thanks to the advise here I got a new exhaust and a cam belt change thrown in.

One other question...

under the stereo there is a sort of 'stuff things' shelf - can this be removed and a second stereo/in dash screen be put in or is it too small?

Comment

yeh the stereo you have is a single DIN unit while the hole itself is a double DIN size, the shelf is just a space filler. Theres lots of double DIN stereos out there, lots of options, you just gotta go out n buy one, making sure the one you buy is adaptable to the brakets that hold your existing stereo to the frame behind.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  yeh the stereo you have is a single DIN unit while the hole itself is a double DIN size, the shelf is just a space filler. Theres lots of double DIN stereos out there, lots of options, you just gotta go out n buy one, making sure the one you buy is adaptable to the brakets that hold your existing stereo to the frame behind.
                  Dont forget UK spec Double Din STEREO.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Kenwood do a nice double DIN sat nav
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                    X