Re assurance Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re assurance Please

Hi. Today I purchased my first 4x4. its a 93 SSR-x 3.0 ltr diesel, I think the engine model is a IK2TD. I will take delivery later this week. I will be using for work (30-50 miles paer day, medium loads 200kgs max) and also for pulling a boat approx 10 weekends per year (payload quite heavy - approx 1700kgs.
    (406 estate just wasn't up to the job). I believe I've bought a great vehicle for all my needs and I'm looking forward to taking delivery. What concerns me is the number of threads relating to overheating problems. Is this a problem i will definetley encounter? Are there any driving/ preventative maintainance tips you could pass on? (never driven a 4x4 or auto before!!). Basically I'm as green as the grass and would welcome any support from you.
    Thanks
    Skippernicky
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]Dont Peck SH$T with the Chickens when you can Fly with the Eagles[/COLOR]

Apparently the 3l like mine and yours is ok....ive put an additional oil cooler on the auto tranmission just in case...its a 16 row.
    3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Yeah, most of the head problems seem to be related to the 2.4 engine (I know first hand ) not to say people have not had problems with the 3.0 engine but nowhere near as many and its not a "known problem" like the head on the 2.4

Towing can benefit from a transmission oil cooler if one is not already fitted.
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
        Yeah, most of the head problems seem to be related to the 2.4 engine (I know first hand ) not to say people have not had problems with the 3.0 engine but nowhere near as many and its not a "known problem" like the head on the 2.4

Towing can benefit from a transmission oil cooler if one is not already fitted.
        How can i tell if one has been fitted?
        [COLOR=DarkOrange]Dont Peck SH$T with the Chickens when you can Fly with the Eagles[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by skippernicky
          How can i tell if one has been fitted?
          The standard model has a transmission oil cooler built into the main radiator. If you have a/c there will be a separate rad for that too. By now space will be filling up so you ought to be able to notice an additional radiator (if you already have an additional oil cooler) attached somewhere looking out of place. Normally, they are about 6" x 10" - and of course the pipework will lead to the gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by skippernicky
            Hi. Today I purchased my first 4x4. its a 93 SSR-x 3.0 ltr diesel, I think the engine model is a IK2TD. I will take delivery later this week. I will be using for work (30-50 miles paer day, medium loads 200kgs max) and also for pulling a boat approx 10 weekends per year (payload quite heavy - approx 1700kgs.
            (406 estate just wasn't up to the job). I believe I've bought a great vehicle for all my needs and I'm looking forward to taking delivery. What concerns me is the number of threads relating to overheating problems. Is this a problem i will definetley encounter? Are there any driving/ preventative maintainance tips you could pass on? (never driven a 4x4 or auto before!!). Basically I'm as green as the grass and would welcome any support from you.
            Thanks
            Skippernicky
            Give it an oil change ( and filter) and get the existing coolant drained and thoroughly flushed out and replaced.

There is sometimes a sludge build-up at the bottom of the radiator. Also, it is possible that the old anti-freeze may be Japanese. This is NOT compatable with U.K. spec. antifeeze.

Best of luck,
            Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony
              Give it an oil change ( and filter) and get the existing coolant drained and thoroughly flushed out and replaced.

There is sometimes a sludge build-up at the bottom of the radiator. Also, it is possible that the old anti-freeze may be Japanese. This is NOT compatable with U.K. spec. antifeeze.

Best of luck,
              Tony.
              thanks to all for your comments. Regards driving tips, The jist seems to be (If I've got it right!!!).
              keep overdrive switched on - This acts as a "fith gear" and will help economy, Do Not activate ECT unless you require extra "umph" )Holds gears longer between changes.
              How does suspension setting and aircon affect econony? Assume aircon will increase load on engine (On previous Passat it made around 10% diff). Not sure about suspension setting though!!
              One more question if I may, Tesco have said that if the bull bar in not standard (Factory fitted) there is a 25% loading on premium. How do I find out?? (garage whre I am buying from claim they are not allowed to sell and should remove, But I've told them to keep it on. Any views on this would be welcome. P.S Its a big stainless steel jobby!!

Comment

Evening Skippernicky,
                I have only been a surfer since February so I am not the best on here to advise but here goes.

Overdrive ON / ECT OFF is exactly what i was told when i picked mine up.

Aircon I believe affects every vehicle it is on, Hard suspension setting has been mentioned before as a goer but I would be wary in normal road travel in case it affects the cornering stability???

As for the Bullbar, I havent told the Insurance about mine.It was on there when I got it therefore it must be standard Although I feel a question coming on at renewal time in June!

As for towing I only have the lowly 2.4 but this towed a 1200kg caravan and forgot it was there.

Hope this is of help, happy surfin'

Labbo

Comment

Hello mate, where in Yorkshire are you? I'm in Leeds. Shouldn't have any probs with your 3 Litre provided it's well looked after and well maintained.

Paul.
                  French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by labbossrx
                    Evening Skippernicky,
                    I have only been a surfer since February so I am not the best on here to advise but here goes.

Overdrive ON / ECT OFF is exactly what i was told when i picked mine up.

Aircon I believe affects every vehicle it is on, Hard suspension setting has been mentioned before as a goer but I would be wary in normal road travel in case it affects the cornering stability???

As for the Bullbar, I havent told the Insurance about mine.It was on there when I got it therefore it must be standard Although I feel a question coming on at renewal time in June!

As for towing I only have the lowly 2.4 but this towed a 1200kg caravan and forgot it was there.

Hope this is of help, happy surfin'

Labbo
                    Hi Labbo. Thanks for the advice. Any problems with overheating?? Regarding Bull bar - havent declaired it yet - friend on the inside!!!
                    Happy motoring
                    Skippernicky

Comment

Originally posted by Pauleds
                      Hello mate, where in Yorkshire are you? I'm in Leeds. Shouldn't have any probs with your 3 Litre provided it's well looked after and well maintained.

Paul.
                      Thanks Paul. Over in Dewsbury, Work in Leeds area most days, (Flooring Contractor).P.s Dont tell Simon down at Christians Carpets............ He wanted me to get a disco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!.
                      Any Shops/garages in our area?
                      Skippernicky

Comment

Working...
                      X