Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused.

Hi
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a Surf and a 4 runner.
    cheers
    Steve

Originally posted by hang ten
    Hi
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a Surf and a 4 runner.
    cheers
    Steve
    Virtually none!

The vehicle is sold in the Japanese domestic market as the Hilux Surf, elsewhere (mainly the US and for a brief period the UK) its sold as the 4Runner. Essentially they are exactly the same vehicles with only normal market/territory differences between, eg in the US they don't get the Diesel, in the UK it was a 3.0 Diesel whilst Japan had a 2.4, that kind of thing.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Like Morr said, its only little things, UK 4Runners have no chrome, all colour coded parts, no adjustable suspension, etc. A UK car will only be 93-95, all with flush headlights and different shape tailgate to fit a oblong shape number plate.

They basicly the same car.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

generally dont have aircon either
        but they are good cars my v6 is great: as the guys have said its just extras, Mine does not have a rear tire carrier, rear spoiler with light, recardo seats. but thats about it.
        The good points are you dont have to muck around with the stereo if you dont want to, no funny speed dails.
        The only other bad (ish ) point is the milage, most uk ones have done 100000 miles where as most imports have only done 100000kms however its a toyota and its stupidly strong so should not be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hang ten
          Hi
          cheers
          Steve
          Automatic transmission was not an option on UK spec 4Runners (bizzarely?). However UK 4Runners will be fitted with a LSD (limited slip differential) a good option which most imports don't have.

Nevillef

Comment

Hilux x 4runner

My german imported one, have LSD and a lot of stuff like the Uk models.
            cheers!...
            Jose Carlos (Charles)
            "Everybody need something. I think I need a beer..."

Comment

confused

thanks for the replies everybody it's been very informative

Comment

So, is the 4Runner LSD a straight swap for the Surf whizzy one? It woudl be nice to be able to take off at a T-junction without all that drama.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                  So, is the 4Runner LSD a straight swap for the Surf whizzy one? It woudl be nice to be able to take off at a T-junction without all that drama.

Kev
                  what drama?
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yeah, they're all Toyota 8" diffs. Any you buy used will probably need refub'ing though.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X