TomTom 3 map updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomTom 3 map updates?

Does anyone know how and when are the maps in TomTom Navigator are updated? I've got version 3 running on an iPaq that I bought recently 2nd hand and I've noticed that certain roads are missing, e.g. the M6 toll and the A43 Silverstone bypass to name but two. It's a bit disconcerting when you are doing 70ish down a motorway and suddenly the gps says you're driving through a field - mind you the off road handling is very impressive
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Originally posted by Gamedawn
    Does anyone know how and when are the maps in TomTom Navigator are updated? I've got version 3 running on an iPaq that I bought recently 2nd hand and I've noticed that certain roads are missing, e.g. the M6 toll and the A43 Silverstone bypass to name but two. It's a bit disconcerting when you are doing 70ish down a motorway and suddenly the gps says you're driving through a field - mind you the off road handling is very impressive
    Try the tomtom website at http://www.tomtom.com/support/support.php

Looks like October 2004 was the last update TomTom Navigator v3.07
    September 2004 for PALM - TomTom Navigator v4.40
    Last edited by Gizmo; 7 April 2005, 20:00.
    Gaz

Comment

I had that too when i borrowed the wifes tom tom for a works journey.

I didnt really wanna go off road in a citroen dispatch but my dad was just following the damn voice directions and we ended up going across a ploughed field
      I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

I've not found out about any updates for the maps. The TomTom site has updates for the software, but not the maps. Guess they must be somewhere, I just haven't found them yet.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think they only update the maps when they update the software major releases. It's not like some of the fixed car ones that update the CDs. They may update the map on a minor release but because they are stuck with the maps provided by another company who use OS maps, they only get updated with the OS maps - think the latest maps are based on the 2000 OS survey.

Cheers

Comment

They only update the maps with the new software.

I have something that will be in the new version due to be released which is the full postcode facility very useful when looking for new drops to deliver too.

If you go too www.pocketpc.co.uk there is a camera database on their for the grabbing and if you dload the poi sync you can add other pois like the important things in life Tea bars and in Tonys case Burger king....

These are all free
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Already running the camera database in CheckPOInt - excellent piece of kit - particularly with the speed related warnings.
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                I have something that will be in the new version due to be released which is the full postcode facility very useful when looking for new drops to deliver too.
                There is a post code add on for TT3 free some where via one of the links.

It works very well

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
                  There is a post code add on for TT3 free some where via one of the links.

It works very well

This has been pulled from distribution Ordanace Survey claim the database is theirs and they want a licence fee from the software writer even though the down load was free......Typical government red tape
                  Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                    This has been pulled from distribution Ordanace Survey claim the database is theirs and they want a licence fee from the software writer even though the down load was free......Typical government red tape
                    According to the forums the Navigator maps are basically old regardless of version. No updates. Maps in TomTom Go are exactly the same format but more up to date. M6 Toll road is in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn

This is taken off the Forum on Pocket GPS World [PocketGPS-CeBit Team]:

TeleAtlas are currently using their new Mobile Mapping Vans which currently drive at 25 km/h. These are fitted with gyroscopic cameras, and record very detailed road schematics including road signs, and then send these off to be processed in India - this should eventually give TeleAtlas a dramatic increase in accuracy on their mapping TeleAtlas say.

TeleAtlas want to build a service centre for map update queries. 30 people currently analyse data.

POI's - partnership with MI International which contain 25 Million POI's - TeleAtlas will not create their own POI database. We should start to see these new POI's available in the fall of 2005.

New maps will soon be available including Russia, Turkey, Greece, China, which are all in the works.
                      Gaz

Comment

Does your tom tom think it is fair game to use the emergency gates on the motorway. Mine tries to take me onto the M25 thru one all the time, very tempting as it is usually open and it would knock 20 mins of the journey
                        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
                        X