Spot check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot check?

Anyone outhere give me some info on what to look out for on a '94 3.0lt that i may be purchasing this week? Is the motor pretty much bomb proof? Gonna be towing 2 BIG showjumping horses around in an ifor HB 510R trailer.

check the faqs here first for some ideas. That trailer is fairly hefty at around 1000kgs i think so check the cooling system is working properly and make sure you have a towbar
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Bobafet
      Anyone outhere give me some info on what to look out for on a '94 3.0lt that i may be purchasing this week? Is the motor pretty much bomb proof? Gonna be towing 2 BIG showjumping horses around in an ifor HB 510R trailer.
      I regularly tow a double horse trailer with my 3lt and have had no problems at all with it. As stated check the cooling system is OK. The Surf has a transmission cooler in the radiator and I have had no probs with mine.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks chaps.Will do.

Comment

Just give it a good check over , make sure all the window's work especially the rear, The motors are expensive .

Andy

Comment

Check the rear suspension.

It can be tempting to buy a Surf that's been imported with a towbar, but watch out for sag on the rear suspension, some times the rear suspension can be soft if the surf's been used for lots of heavy towing.

Rob
            Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

i bought a surf without a bar, no sag... fitted a bar, there were the old scotchlocks on the wiring behind light fitting and now she sags!!
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I'd recommend replacing the rear springs if you are towing heavy weights.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  I'd recommend replacing the rear springs if you are towing heavy weights.
                  i have the blue ones that are stronger.... but I never tow heavy weights
                  Attached Files
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I think only some have the additional transmission cooling (as part of an optional "towing pack" perhaps?) - although not 100% sure on this. I just know that my mates Surf has an additional radiator underneath the front at an angle to the road, whereas both mine never had this - just the standard rad and air-con rad infront of it.

Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick on this?

If I am right may be worth checking that the one you are buying has the transmission cooling rad etc?
                    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Thankfully no tow bar ever been fitted on this one. I'll check coolant sys and other things mentioned. This forum ROCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        i bought a surf without a bar, no sag... fitted a bar, there were the old scotchlocks on the wiring behind light fitting and now she sags!!
                        scotchlocks not that HEAVY are they
                        Enjoying Life after Cancer
                        Pops

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                          I think only some have the additional transmission cooling (as part of an optional "towing pack" perhaps?) - although not 100% sure on this. I just know that my mates Surf has an additional radiator underneath the front at an angle to the road, whereas both mine never had this - just the standard rad and air-con rad infront of it.

Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick on this?

If I am right may be worth checking that the one you are buying has the transmission cooling rad etc?
                          The angled rad underneath that you're refering to is an alternate location for the air-con rad. No Surfs came factory fitted with any gearbox coolers other than those fitted inside the bottom of the main rad, any external oil coolers have been fitted afterwards.
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Make sure you have a towbar !! Hah ! Hah! very good ..

Originally posted by Bobafet
                            See postings in caravan and towing things .. I have just come back from Spain with well over 1 tonne load including the van and all the camping things - maybe 1.5 tonnes - the 3ltr engine pulled like a Trojan - fantastic no probs.It,s the gearbox you need to watch - it tends to overheat when under severe load up hills and the like .. and the torque converter goes abit funny for a while .. I fitted a Kenlowe gear box cooler which seems to work .. and you get a much lower engine operating temp.as well !

Surfin

Comment

Working...
                            X