Would it be possible ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be possible ????

Hi, Would it be possible to totally disconnect / remove the rear prop shaft to the rear axle but select 4 wheel drive and still be able to maintain drive to the front wheels ?
    Would 4 wheel drive need to be selected BEFORE the prop-shaft was disconnected or removed - because the Surf would need to move a short distance before engaging properly ?
    Would this be Dangerous as it might affect braking and might it invalidate the Insurance ?

The reason I ask is an Old Guy that lives near me with A 2.4 ltr Surf had a breakdown with a broken rear UJ on the rear Prop shaft and had loads of hassle with breakdown recovery as he didn't have full recovery and they ( GREEN FLAG ) only took him to a nearby Garage where he had to leave his Surf for repair and he now has a £150.00 ++ repair bill !!!
    Attached Files
    I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Yup. But try not to leave it to long, drive long distances or go to fast as your using something that isn't designed to be used on its own, plus it won't have been used to much in the past. Your CV's may make odd noises if there are at all worn.

I drove my pickup around like this for a few weeks while the prop was being rebuilt.

I'd think it would engage OK without hassle, the t/case works as soon as you press the button, this will spin the front diff to line up the ADD.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

it's one of them things i'd do, but wouldn't go telling other people to do it!... i was going to take the fromt diff out for mot, so it couldn't fail on broken cv!!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks for that. Well worth knowing in an emergency and could have saved a lot of hassle time and money !!!
        I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

Working...
        X