No announcement yet.

Dunno the answer to this, help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunno the answer to this, help please.

Hi all.

I've got a category A on my license entitling me to ride any motorbike, but my mate has'nt, he has only got the norm car license plus LGV categories. He wants to get a 1200cc trike but we're not sure if he can legally ride/drive it without the cat A or CBT's. Any help would be much appreciated guys, thanks.

try here http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drivers.htm
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

a trike isnt classed as a motorbike and you dont need to wear a crash helmet so surely you can use a trike with a car licence.as with a 3 wheeler you dont need a car licence you can drive that on a bike licence aswell.does this help
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

im pretty sure thats right as you can ride quads on either liscence
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

all depends what it's registered as... if it's car based e.g. the beetle vw ones then on a car license, but if it's bike based e.g. 1200 bandit ones then a bike license... all to do with tyhe tax class and stuff like that... my quad is the same to tax as a car, not cheap like a bike... watch out for stuff registered as "agricultural" too!... they're limited to road speed and mileage...

people will tell you that it's all to do with having reverse gear, but that's bull...
          basically, if you get pulled over and it comes up on the computer as a bike, then you need a bike license!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

the wife has got full car and bike licence and it does'nt state anything about trikes or quads

richard
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

and on the helmet thing, you don't wanna be the coolest dude in intensive care!... and if it rains it really hurts your eyes over 40mph!!... snow's worse!!

worst thing is biking through snow -6 degrees when you can't see where you're going and hivering so much you can't steer!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I believe a trike is to be registered as a Car, hence as already stated no need for Crash Helmets
                Gaz

Comment

Trikes are a bl00dy minefield, honest! Most coppers that'll stop you wont have a clue what license you should have, whether you need a helmet or seatbelts!.
                  The tax class is motorcycle, the same as a reliant robin. You can drive a three wheeler on a car or bike license, the need for seatbelts is dependant on weight and seat type. If you are astride as on a m/cycle and under 450Kg then no seatbelts and a helmet is not needed.
                  I've probably got loads of info on this around the house somewhere, I just have to find out where SWMBO has hidden it.

<even better, go to HERE, sign up to their forum and pose the question there>
                  Last edited by dazzo23; 3 April 2005, 20:22.

Comment

Working...
                  X