yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel economy or lack of and alternatives....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy or lack of and alternatives....

Ive just worked out that i'm getting about 25mpg out of my 2.4tdi surf.
    Im guessing thats around average for people here.
    I do a fair amount of miles and its somewhat crippling me to have to put £50 a week in.
    I know its a heavy truck etc.. etc..
    Are there any alternatives... I have tried veggie oil, but to be honest at the moment its just a pain in the ar$e for not a huge saving..
    Are there any other options, LPG conversions for diesel?
    Fill the tyres with helium?
    Cheers
    CM
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Originally posted by carbonman
    Ive just worked out that i'm getting about 25mpg out of my 2.4tdi surf.
    Im guessing thats around average for people here.
    I do a fair amount of miles and its somewhat crippling me to have to put £50 a week in.
    I know its a heavy truck etc.. etc..
    Are there any alternatives... I have tried veggie oil, but to be honest at the moment its just a pain in the ar$e for not a huge saving..
    Are there any other options, LPG conversions for diesel?
    Fill the tyres with helium?
    Cheers
    CM
    LPG on a deisel isn't normally worthwhile conversion unless you are doing shedloads of miles, as you only replace a little deisel with gas, so you'll still be using 70% or so of the deisel. the other 30% is cheaper LPG. So you savings against the cost of installation takes longer to recoupe unless you doing starship milages.

The best thing about propane assist on deisels is its like a N0S shot, you get a real noticable power increase, so most of the MPG savings are because you need less go pedal. But knowing most people on this forum, you'll just go faster and not get any better MPG!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Heh, yeah
      I'm desperatly trying to find a way to keep the wife quiet, as I do a lot of surfing she wants a camper van which would mean selling the truck! :-o

I heard once someone talking about replacing the injectors helps? Is this worth the effort? The trucks got 95000miles on the clock...

Other than that I may have to get a lump of wood to put under the accelerator!

Originally posted by TonyN
      LPG on a deisel isn't normally worthwhile conversion unless you are doing shedloads of miles, as you only replace a little deisel with gas, so you'll still be using 70% or so of the deisel. the other 30% is cheaper LPG. So you savings against the cost of installation takes longer to recoupe unless you doing starship milages.

The best thing about propane assist on deisels is its like a N0S shot, you get a real noticable power increase, so most of the MPG savings are because you need less go pedal. But knowing most people on this forum, you'll just go faster and not get any better MPG!!!

2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

hmm could u run a lpg + vegie oil + diesel hybrid? that would drop the cost down evean more than just lpg or vegie oil mixed with diesel but i dont know if it would work...

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a Hilux surf, main as I go surfing most weekends, though am unsure which variant to get and also the cost of driving from london to cornwall on the weekend.

He is yours?
          Can you fit a 7,6 board in the back??

Comment

The truck is a star for surfing day trips, boards fit in no problems and my missus's 7'9 mal fits in the back no problems.
            Its great for secret spots too with the 4x4!
            Its also good for sleeping in the back. I get around 25mpg from mile on a decent run, but it hauls all my kit around, and its a lovely drive.

Originally posted by compact
            I'm thinking of getting a Hilux surf, main as I go surfing most weekends, though am unsure which variant to get and also the cost of driving from london to cornwall on the weekend.

He is yours?
            Can you fit a 7,6 board in the back??
            2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

before i could aford roof bars i used to stick mt sea kayak through the back window and into the passenger well.

Comment

Originally posted by carbonman
                Heh, yeah
                I'm desperatly trying to find a way to keep the wife quiet, as I do a lot of surfing she wants a camper van which would mean selling the truck! :-o

I heard once someone talking about replacing the injectors helps? Is this worth the effort? The trucks got 95000miles on the clock...

Other than that I may have to get a lump of wood to put under the accelerator!
                Buy a touring caravan then you won't have to give up the truck. I tow a twin axle with a island bed with no problem and average probably about 23 mpg when towing.

Comment

Originally posted by iank01
                  Buy a touring caravan then you won't have to give up the truck. I tow a twin axle with a island bed with no problem and average probably about 23 mpg when towing.
                  Can I ask which surf do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by iank01

ive gone as low as 16mpg before now... towing but still!
                    need to get my injectors sorted me thinks
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                    X