'96 KZN185 ADD issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 KZN185 ADD issues.

This may want to be in the Technical forum but I figured this may get more eyes in here given the quiet nature on the forum.

I've been having issues with the ADD engaging ever since I broke the diff on a Wales off road trip.

The nature of the breakage was snapping the intermediate shaft (41306 35030) between the O/S of the diff and the O/S "axle" shaft. The planet and sun gears also had to be replaced but the ring gear was okay say for a single burr. I will say, I did this a little Heath Robinson as I didn't re-shim the diff and the rebuild has more or less been done by "feel" with the help of an experienced colleague but after a few thousand miles, all seems okay on the diff centre.

Ever since replacing the diff however, the ADD has been reluctant to engage leaving me with no 4wd. I have checked the vacuum hoses, they're okay. The VSVs appear okay and I get vacuum at the ADD actuator. The actuator operates both manually and when using compressed air either side and the position switch appears all okay too.

I had to remove and replace the diff again recently due to my poor sealant work first time around. Once back it and after having done the above checks, it worked!! For a day.

With 4wd engaged (on the button, so open centre) I made a trip where I came over a small bridge, as I passed over, there was a click and my revs went sky high. Despite the 4 green light on the dash, the ADD had knocked out and I'd lost drive. I dropped back to 2wd which was fine but not cannot get anything other than flashing 4wd/diff lamp on the dash.

Long post, my apologies. But I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out!?
Working...
X