LN130 Transmission Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LN130 Transmission Swap

Basically, I have a 1991 SSR which originally had a 2LTE Manual 4wd but the previous owner swapped out the engine to a 1kz-te (which is great!), except that he also decided to swap in the transmission and shifter from the donor as well, which was a HiAce (presumably, a super custom?) with an automatic. Now, the problem is, the HiAce Super Custom of the 1991-1996 era sported no 4wd shifters due to the fact they sported full-time/real-time 4wd as those vans had center diffs. Obviously, can't really make 4wd work with this transmission on the Surf as it will just lead to binding when I drive it on-road due to being on 4-hi permanently due to how this tranny works.

So, the plan is to get a replacement transmission (automatic or manual) from a Prado or a KZN130 Surf which selectable 4wd (including the shifters too preferably). Now, I've heard that not all 1kz-te engines were necessarily equal in all regards. As far as I know, when actually executing the tranny swap, I would be needing the bellhousing from the 1kz-te (I assume I can use the one from the existing tranny I have), and someone else said that the propeller shafts would be different so I'd need those too.

What else do I need and how would the entire tranny swap process pan out, assuming I can get my hand on at least an automatic part-time 4wd transmission?
Working...
X