1kzte troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1kzte troubles

Hello all I’m a first time poster anyhow, I’ve got a few questions.

I have a lovely green and grey two tone kzn130 ssrx limited

anyhow in the morning and only when the motor has cooled down or is cold and I start it I get a big puff of blackey grey smoke and it rattles badly and sometimes gives a miss and then if I drive it the rattle gets worse and it won’t go to well splatter and coughs but if I let it warm up the rattle disappears and it drives normally. And let me add the fuel economy is shocking like 350ks to a tank and it’s the original rims and 31 inch tires.

mine had the same problems check coolant isn't filling up the exspanion tank maybe a sniff test could be a cracked head or injectors need servicing

Comment

Grey/white smoke is indicative of fuel not burning properly & possibly a contaminant. A cracked head or head gasket failure as above allows water to escape into the cylinder, especially after the engine cools down and crack widens. A tell tale sign is a loss of coolant from the cooling system, or bubbles in the radiator coolant.

A glow plug issue (one, or the whole circuit) also raises its head when the motor is cold. One failed glow plug may give a rough start with black smoke, a failed circuit will make it turn over a lot longer before it finally fires, then it will run rough. A poor battery can also lower glow plug efficiency, but then its usually harder to turn the motor over.

Both these issues tend to disappear when the motor is hot. Motor is less reliant on glow plugs when hot & if cracked head less water has had the chance to escape into cylinder as the motor has not cooled.

Last thing is the EGR system can fowl up, the butterfly valve can get stuck and gummed up it allows exhaust gas to enter the intake on start instead of being closed & opening when cruising. This can lead to a rough smokie start.

Poor injectors give you a telltale black smoke when accelerating most of the time so not likely this issue.

Cheers, Darrie

Comment

Gday there baron I’m getting the injectors done on Monday, and will be doing the timing belt, water pump and drive belts next weekend. Was yours a cracked head? I don’t know why it would be a head because once it’s warm it’s fine some mornings it won’t even rattle. It’s goes so well some times, I’m also thinking it could be the intake is caked up because there’s is black leaks coming out the side and where the throttle cable is ive blocked the egr pipes but plan on cleaning it by taking of the intake, I have a boost gauge installed it boosts to 14psi and goes really well, yesterday the boost gauge line had popped off and the filter where I’ve t pieced the gauge in was soaked in oil any thoughts on why?

Comment

About the oil in the boost gage line:
          There are two sources of oil - the turbo and the PCV that goes into the turbo. assuming that the turbo is in good condition, it should not spit much oil. so most of the oil is coming from the PCV. Install an air-oil separator between the cylinder head cover hump and the turbo. I will also help if you clean the intake manifold and the crossover line from the turbo to the venturi. also clean the filter where the MAP sensor is attached. You can do that by spraying MAF cleaner or electronic cleaner.
          hth

Comment

Gday had the injectors done and no difference sometimes when I start it in the morning it splutters and does what I said above, but when I’m driving It will have a louder note out of the exhaust like it’s sputtering fuel and ignite which gives it a boost and does that for a little why fuel pump related?

Comment

Cold start issues are caused by malfunctioning glow plug(s) and/or soot inside the cylinders. Check the glow plugs and its wiring if they're getting the correct voltage.
              Have you checked the ECU for leaking capacitors? If there are black dots on the motherboard, that is a sign that the capacitors are leaking and needs to be replaced immediately as it will destroy the board.

How many km/liter is your fuel consumption?

Originally posted by Waltonhayden View Post

anyhow in the morning and only when the motor has cooled down or is cold and I start it I get a big puff of blackey grey smoke and it rattles badly and sometimes gives a miss and then if I drive it the rattle gets worse and it won’t go to well splatter and coughs but if I let it warm up the rattle disappears and it drives normally. And let me add the fuel economy is shocking like 350ks to a tank and it’s the original rims and 31 inch tires.

Comment

hello matey do a sniff test I got one off eBay my head was cracked in 4 places, I had all the issues you had ,once warmed up ran fine but the coolant was filling the exspanion tank up

Comment

OP, are you loosing coolant? do you need to fill up the radiator from time to time?

Comment

I dropped the coolant and flushed the radiator last weekend and I looked today the coolant still looks brand new and doesn’t seem to have dropped

Comment

in that case, it's probably not a cylinder head nor a head gasket issue. when cold starting, open up the radiator cap if you see bubbling. some ripples is normal when the thermostat opens. if there is much bubbling like when water is pressurized, it is either a head gasket or a cyl head issue or both

when engine is hot, coolant will flow into the plastic reservoir then when the engine cools, the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltonhayden View Post

Hi Waltonhayden,

did you get to the bottom of your issue above? This sounds very similar to my Prado kz te. It only happened after i put a new head on. Rough and missing and louder while engine warm up, also with whitesmoke when missing, but once warm everything is smooth as silk.

I haven’t deleted my EGR yet so all still intact.

any pointer will be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X