Turbo Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Boost

Has anyone tried the washers behind the waste gate idea for turbo boost.
    I am thinking of trying a 1mm washer rather than 2mm incase I push my luck, is it worth it and has anyone done it without eventually causing damage?
    IS IT WORTH IT?

Go for it and watch the grin get bigger
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=7382

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=1136

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I used a boost valve on my 3.0 and upted the boost by about 1.5 psi and thers no real difference. Yours is a 2.4 so there may be some change. Get a boost gauge n all........
        3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

I have a friend who has gone for the 2mm, apparently, the ECT limits the max boost by cutting fuel, so ultimately does no harm, but he said he reduced his back to 1 washer and got most of the benefit, while not cutting out at the top boost limit
          Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

In reality, and "experts" may correct this, optimum power vs fuel consumption/engine reliabilty was designed in by some full time design experts on turbos at Toyota.

Changing settings on a new rig would be daft, I believe the reason people have done this mod, is cus the spring gets old n rusty and less powerfull with age, thus stopping the origional design specification from being achieved.

The best/safest "mod" would be to return your machine to original spec by replacing spring with genuine new part!
            .......discuss.....
            Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
              In reality, and "experts" may correct this, optimum power vs fuel consumption/engine reliabilty was designed in by some full time design experts on turbos at Toyota.

Changing settings on a new rig would be daft, I believe the reason people have done this mod, is cus the spring gets old n rusty and less powerfull with age, thus stopping the origional design specification from being achieved.

The best/safest "mod" would be to return your machine to original spec by replacing spring with genuine new part!
              .......discuss.....
              1. correct
              2. think the cheese gets stuck under there, like behind the grill... lets the spring thing stiff open later more boost summat like that

you gotta remember that they design cars for people who drive slow as well as fast, don't service them regularly, etc... the more you modify, the more care/precautions you have to take and it will become less reliable
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Also true he is.........
                3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Done it good

Have put the 1mm washers on wastegate and renewed converluted hose (from Milners) on air filter to turbo manifold, topped the engine oil up and it runs better in all ways, i.e. quieter, smoother, nippier on moving off, pulls up a steep hill at 50mph plus. I am also using Redex more regularly.
                  Pleased with the results so will leave things at that but hope it lasts.

Should pull the caravan better this year which is what I originally bought the surf for.

Next job is to check wheel bearings on front.

Neil

Comment

Thread resurection!

I done this mod. today, and definitely get more oomph going up steep hills.

Comment

im thinking about it too - not sure if my turbo is OK so im trying to get another one so it can be looked at then switch over and do the washer trick.
                      anyone ever fitted a different turbo other than the CT-20?
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i really type some strange ****!!

what was i on about cheese for??
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

While your talking about turbo's i've got a question! I'll be getting a turbo-
                          boost gauge soon (birthday pressi) and notice they come in two versions ie-
                          one goes up to 1.5 bar or something and the other goes higher, my turbo is unmoded (i think) but i will probably mod it, So which gauge should i get or
                          dont it matter? Cheers Ian
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                            While your talking about turbo's i've got a question! I'll be getting a turbo-
                            boost gauge soon (birthday pressi) and notice they come in two versions ie-
                            one goes up to 1.5 bar or something and the other goes higher, my turbo is unmoded (i think) but i will probably mod it, So which gauge should i get or
                            dont it matter? Cheers Ian
                            I've got a standard turbo set up, and my boost gage is -1 to 1bar. Highest I've seen it at is about 0.85 bar...

Hope this helps?
                            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              I've got a standard turbo set up, and my boost gage is -1 to 1bar. Highest I've seen it at is about 0.85 bar...

Hope this helps?
                              Cheers Dave, Suppose the higher ones are for real high perfomance turbo's
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                              X