Surfless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfless

well after 14 years I am now surfless. Still have the Colorado, but as Im now retired and frankly dont need one 4x4 never mind two, decided to part with the Surf, the most beautiful looking vehicle I have ever owned and in terms of overall ownership costs, probably the cheapest. I never had to spend a penny on it apart from routine maintenance, and pennies that I wanted to spend. No tears as it drove off, but a definte tug on the heartstrings. Its off up Inverary way and hopefully will serve Matt its new owner as well as it served me. He joined the forum and may pop in from time to time , hopefully not desperately seeking advice. The whole family will miss it, its done numerous dump runs and with a trailer behind it a few house moves, Its collected Ikea junk that only squeezed in with seats down and front seats so far forward I drove with my knees on my chin, its pulled lesser and significantly larger vehicles up the hill and out of the street in the winter of 2010, ferried grandkids to school, and been used by my daughter and her brood to go on camping hols with the boot full of bikes and scooters and suitcases. I trust and hope it serves Matt as well, and Im confident he will look after it as well as I did.
    Off to dry my eyes now, but will continue to monitor the forum. Once a Surfer, always a Surfer.
    Сви можемо

Commiserations & Congratulations Alex, Best wishes n Good Luck with ya latest acquisition I'm sure it will be just as reliable as ya Surf was ..
    After 10 years of reliability from last Surf n it's demise two weeks ago n now move on to it's successor !!

18+ Years of Surfs ...10 years on Spotless it was but expired last week....My other KZN 130 Yota is now also faultless to a T I hope !!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Aye well its still a toyota, but doesnt have the lovely lines of the surf.
      Сви можемо

Comment

Being Surfless sucks! I'm back in the market, but it needs to be the right one. The only exception to a perfect Surf would be IV, I'd buy that back in a heartbeat, if I could remember who I sold it to!!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Bet it tugged on the heartstrings Alex, mine would to, but as you say you don't need two, I often think I should get rid and buy a "sensible "car, but I still enjoy working on the old tractor, if it went I would not have the enthusiasm to bugger about with something else and lets face it there's not much you can do to newer cars, they all look the bloody same, plus I might get one that's a load of trouble, the surfs been outstanding for more than 12 years now, best vehicle by far I ever owned so why not keep it till it finally bits the dust (unless I go first), that is/was a good looking 3rd gen you had mate,
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

It did a wee bit Ian, when I first got the Colorado, a few years ago, I advertised the Surf on here and then pulled it as I couldnt bear the thought of parting with it and letting someone else benefit from my hard work and loving care at a bargain price. This time round however, I let reality kick in, as I said I dont need one 4x4 never mind 2 and now that Im retired , had to consider ongoing costs as well, so I bit the bullet. Still sad to watch it vanish over the horizon though. I completely get why you are intent on keeping yours. Think on what you paid for it and divide it by 12. Its a low ownership cost, especially when most of the money spent on it over the years has been due to want rather than need. Never spent a penny on mine other than maintenance and consumables and wants and as I did most of it myself and got a fair price when I sold it , it made for cheap ownership.
            Сви можемо

Comment

Well Alex did I say one of the reasons I keep mine is the enjoyment I get from working on it? silly me, I've had a right mare of a couple of days, last year I foolishly decided to re build the dash, mainly because the MOT bloke said I needed to remove the overhead console due to it obscuring the screen a bit so thought I take the opportunity to re-work the whole thing, I needed to get rid of that cheapo Chinese tv thing and the CB (never ever got 1 "good buddy "out the fecker anyway, plus some other junk, tagged all the wires etc and remade the dash, going well, till I came the re connect the sterio amp, and nothing!, just a load of static, I ended up having to remove most of the dash to get at the back of the radio and it turned out to be a dodgy aeriel adaptor, just been to Halfords and a fiver got me a new one and it works, also forgot to wire up the amp isolator switch which is why that didn't work, now I got to re-fit all the stuff I fitted already, think I'm getting too bloody old for this brain work, if I could get at the smileys I'd add one, it's only taken me nearly 2 years to do it and not finished yet, when I get round to paying the subs i'll put some pics on, feel free to have a good laugh.

Comment

I have a feeling that whatever you do, it will look pretty damn good
                Сви можемо

Comment

Understand totally i am sole owner since import in 05, over the last two years occassional stalling turned to non starting to thoughts of scrapyard
                  removed immobiliser and i have got a faultless motor again
                  i cant believe how ecstatic i am one of the loves of my life has returned

Comment

Understand totally i am sole owner since import in 05, over the last two years occassional stalling turned to non starting to thoughts of scrapyard
                    removed immobiliser and i have got a faultless motor again
                    i cant believe how ecstatic i am one of the loves of my life has returned

Comment

Yeah those immobilisers can be a real pain, my sons first car had that problem kept stalling and would not start, found out it was due to the immobiliser when the AA guy was called out he advised him to take it back to the place that fitted it and get em to remove it, fine after that,

Comment

Working...
                      X