Steering box seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box seals

I bought a seal kit for my steering box and proceeded to stripthe box and replace all seals. Everything was going well until near the end. Took out all the seals at the base of the shaft the pitman arm bolts to and all of the replacment seals were too small. So i reused to old ones. Trouble is, the outermost oil seal is fubbed and the new one is too small. Toyota must have started using a smaller shaft in their steering gears, cause it aint right. The part no for the seal kit was 04445-35100. Has anyone done this and had the same problem or did they give me the wrong kit. Gonna call them today but anyones help is appreciated.
    Your sincerely
    Surfless
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

You could try going to a bearing and seal factors as alot of seals and o rings are common sizes. I used to get o rings for my KX500 exshaust in a rubber that coped better with the heat than the factory ones !
    3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Thanks Dog
      Have contacted Toyota and waiting for reply. If they cant help. I'll do just that. Can you recommend one online.
      Cheers
      Del
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Toyota got back to me and found out that they had ordered the wrong product number. Should have ordered 04445-35110 , instead 35100.
        Anyone tell me what vehicle 04445-35100 is for.
        Cheers
        Del
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
          Toyota got back to me and found out that they had ordered the wrong product number. Should have ordered 04445-35110 , instead 35100.
          Anyone tell me what vehicle 04445-35100 is for.
          Cheers
          Del
          From the EPC (now that I finally have it sussed!)
          35100 is for LN100, 106, YN100, 105 From 09/88 to 08/97
          35110 is for LN13#, VZN130, YN130 From 04/89 to 08/91

Both are described as
          GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING GEAR (FOR RECIRULATING BALL)
          Last edited by Morr; 23 March 2005, 19:16.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers Mo. Obviously the LN100's are a bit softer than the Surf and have skinnier steering gear shafts. What windows are you using. Is it XP, cause i can t get mine to work on XP.
            Cheers
            Del
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Recieved the correct kit today, so now have 1.5 kits for the price of 1. I only have to use the bits for the pitman shaft and keep the other seals for a later date. Will get the box fully rebuilt tomorrow and hopefully get it back in this weekend if it stops feckin rainin' for two minutes. Cant wait to get my baby back on the road!
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Del. You may be able to answer a question for me. Does the steering box have any adjustment or bushes? The reason I am asking is because I got Mrs KS to give the steering a good cranking form right to left while I laid under the truck. It was getting dusk, so I am not absolutely sure, but the movement seemed to be in the bottom end of the steering box rather than the pitman arm.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

On my pickup there is a adjuster on top of the box, its a lock nut and slotted screw, I used to tighten it up as hard as poss every MOT to get the slack out of the box.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    On my pickup there is a adjuster on top of the box, its a lock nut and slotted screw, I used to tighten it up as hard as poss every MOT to get the slack out of the box.

I was wondering about that. I was having a mooch today and thought that if it was adjustable it woud have a split pin. DOH! I can be such a thicket sometimes.
                    The pitman arm must have some wear too otherwise the n/s tyre wouldn't be wearing on the inside in a 1.5" strip.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Phil, there are needle bearings top and bottom for the pitman shaft. Like tony said, turning the screw should tighten it up.
                      Derek :
                      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Phil, there are needle bearings top and bottom for the pitman shaft. Like tony said, turning the screw should tighten it up.

what if its excessive rotational movement?
                        could worm drives be worn out ? and beyond adjustment
                        Landcruiser Colorado
                        Sub. Forester

Comment

Yeah, it could be the worm gear or teeth which meet the sector shaft which is the proper name for the vertical shaft attached to the pitman. The movement phil is talking about could be due to either worn bearings or worn teflon ring at the base of the shaft which would allow maybe 2mm lateral movement. Wish i'd taken some pics now.
                          Derek :
                          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Cheers Mo. Obviously the LN100's are a bit softer than the Surf and have skinnier steering gear shafts. What windows are you using. Is it XP, cause i can t get mine to work on XP.
                            Cheers
                            Del
                            Yep, have it running on XP Pro, also got it to work on 2003.
                            On XP, I gave it its own partition of of just over 4.6 GB, with the EPC plus all 4 jap discs loaded to the HDD, takes up just over 3 GB, now runs fine
                            Maurice
                            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I'd have to reinstall window though to create a new partition, wouldn't i?
                              Derek :
                              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Working...
                              X