Speed Camera nabs 2500 innocent drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Camera nabs 2500 innocent drivers

This is a totally genuine story. It appeared on the Motorcycle News website on 4 11 03.

A safety camera on the M4 has photographed 2500 motorists who were fined despite driving legally.
    The camera was placed to catch speeding cars, bikes and trucks in a temporary 50mph limit in road works around junction 24 of the M4 outside Newport. Instead it flashed people who left the 50mph zone and were legally increasing their pace to the national motorway limit. The camera has been in place from July 2002 until October 2003.
    The innocent drivers have paid fines totalling approximately £150,000 and are entitled to ask for their money back and penalty points to be removed from their licence. However, the camera partnership states it will not contact the drivers to inform them of their mistake. Instead it will consider appeals from individual drivers. So far only 10 people have appealed and all have had their convictions overturned.
    " The camera was wrongly sited for over a year. The costs do not stop with fines as many drivers will have had to pay more in higher insurance premiums. It is a complete disgrace. No wonder the partnership is keeping quiet about it when they could face huge compensation claims for lost licences and ruined careers, " said Mark McArthur-Christie from the Association of British Drivers.
    Any motorists who think they may have been wrongly penalised are urged to contact the Mid and South Wales Safety Camera Partnership, PO Box 360Cardiff, CF10 3ZR, or phone: 01443 743772 or 743776.

Scumbags!
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I tried to edit my last post, but got a message saying there was a problem and "The Management" have been informed.
      A colleague brought this site to my attention. Its well worth a look. http://www.749.supanet.com/cameras.htm
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

in the past where i live the police have allways placed their speed traps, on wide open roads, that have unrealistic speed limits and are not known as problem area's, which leads me to suspect that they are more interested in collecting revenue than slowing the traffic, their attitude also changes by the time of day, eg. if its rush hour and they want the traffic to flow, they are not so keen, but if its mid morning or afternoon on the same stretch of road, look out! our local council seems to be getting just as bad, they are spending a fortune on speed bumps, one lane run throughs, and traffic islands like dustbin lids, again all in area's where there is not a problem, but the recognised black spots seem to get left well alone,
        BIG D
        ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE,

Comment

Come to Cannock guys. We have traffic islands on most junctions and more seem to breed daily, they are so small you cannot go round them and if you go over you get done.

On top of that we have a stretch of road on the A34 Great Wyrley to Bloxwich which in a recent survey has more speed cameras per mile than any other road in the UK.

Yet called em out when we had a breakin and took em two days to come out and never heard a thing from them after. UMMM priorities, makes you wonder doesn't it

Steve
          Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

just why i own a snooper.

Comment

Clarkson was talking about the M25 and why the congestion signs are often lit when the road is clear. Apparently if they leave the signs on "by accident" then the speed cameras are activated automatically
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Something similar has already happened in South London.

A camera was sited in a 30mph zone, at the very start of the 30 mph zone, but looking some 40 yards up the road ahead of the zone. Since the camera was actually sited in the 30 limit, it was set to trip at 30mph plus allowance so photographed thousands of drivers who were obeying the limit outside of the zone.

What? It's now illegal to obey the limit ???

Comment

Working...
                X