hilux buying question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hilux buying question

this site looks great and just the kind of forum I need atm. I'm wanting to buy a hilux surf but I've had differing accounts of what they're like to own. I've had a couple of people tell me that I should steer clear of them and others saying they're the best vehicle they've ever had. Since I'm posting this here you can be reassured that I'm listening to the latter

I'll be buying second hand, and with my budget I'm looking at getting a 3.0l '94-'96 model. What I need to know is are there any particular models with problems that I should avoid or look out for?

No regrets

Had my 1993 3ltr for over a year now. Previously owned 3.6 jag.
    Best thing i ever did was get a Surf. Although fuel economy isn't that good, its made up with comfortable ride, quiet for a large diesel, and good power and speed. Parts not so expensive as you think and should need replaced less often than many other cars.
    As other people on the forum,will tell you, the smile factor is a big thing.
    Go for it, you wont be disappointed.
    Good luck
    Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by skylady
      I'll be buying second hand, and with my budget I'm looking at getting a 3.0l '94-'96 model. What I need to know is are there any particular models with problems that I should avoid or look out for?
      I think with the 3ltr model there is no known problems. Surfs seem to handle age and mileage a lot better than most cars, and they're very solid. Very comfortable drive, handle sumpremely for such a big car, and very capable on and off road. Go for it, you won't regret it.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Had my 96 3rd gen Surf for over a year now and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle I have ever had the pleasure to own. It is totally reliable, comfortable smooth ride, handles like a car and is just as capable off road as on.

Apart from servicing and the consumerbles (filters, pads ect) I have not had any problems. At a moments notice I went over to France, did almost 5000 miles in a week and it never gave me a moments doubt that it would take me there and back, and would do all I asked and more. Yes fuel consumption is not great but is very comparable with any other 3.0 litre diesel 4X4, The only recommendation I would make is get the 3rd gen model as the four wheel drive is more flexible as it can be used on hard surfaces unlike the 2nd gen. That said, go for it, you will never regret it. I had a Land R----- Dis-----y for 10 years and the Surf beats it hands down and with one wheel taken off !!!!!!
        Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

hi been hammering around in my 2.4 for over 3yrs with no probs just give a reg service (must have one with good head) best 4x4 ive owned

Comment

so its ditto to the above comments, so what you waiting for get out there buy one and enjoy.
            OK so people might think we are a bit biased. Before I bought my Surf and even new what one was I went looking for a 4x4. Didn't care much which one as long as I could get me, two mates and all our fishing gear in it.
            First off a Ford Maverick, opened the rear door huh wheres the boot space, close door and move on. Ford Explorer, opened door sat in it, hmmm very very plasticky, seat uncomfortable and doors sound tinny not solid and engine was like a bucket of nails.
            And so on it went, Pajero/Shogun load space not big enough, wheel arches encroach in to the load area big time and me rod bag wouldn't fit in long ways stcuk out the back by 5". Plus my mates got one and its so wallowy on corners it makes me feel sea sick.
            Rangies, discoveries, sorry just don't like them, never have so its not a bias thing with them, disliked them before I knew what a Surf was.
            Then saw an advert for a Surf, whats one of them. So of I went to the garage, saw it, liked it, drove it, loved it, paid for it job done.
            Great handling for a big motor, quietest engine of all the 4x4's i had tested, great load space, rod bags fitted in where all others had failed. Comfortable seats and seating position.
            I love happy endings, don't you
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Working...
            X