Using 4x4 for boat recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 4x4 for boat recovery

I know this has been covered alot on this forum allready but not directly relating to this.

I currently use my Nissan for launching and recovering my boat in 4wd low without any problems. It is basically straight up and down but does involve some turning and always on non slippy concrete/tarmac (unless the tides out ). Having read the various threads on here about the Surfs 4x4 system locking up am I going to getting stuck on the slipway with a locked transmission?

Originally posted by TUE
    I know this has been covered alot on this forum allready but not directly relating to this.

I currently use my Nissan for launching and recovering my boat in 4wd low without any problems. It is basically straight up and down but does involve some turning and always on non slippy concrete/tarmac (unless the tides out ). Having read the various threads on here about the Surfs 4x4 system locking up am I going to getting stuck on the slipway with a locked transmission?
    I wouldn't have thought so. The Mk2 Surf (the most common type) has PART TIME 4WD, i.e. you only engage 4WD when required. Even on off road courses thick with mud I can often get round in in 2WD only. With part time 4WD there's no centre differential- so using it when the wheels cannot slip independantly might break the transmission (AKA transmission wind up). So we only use 4WD in slippy mud, gravel or snow. You CAN use 4WD ONLY if you're travelling in a dead straight line- which might apply to your slippway. If you're losing traction on just the rear wheels then it's probably slippy enough to engage 4WD anyway.

Mk3 Surfs have a centre diff and you can use 4WD on a non slippery surface. I use my Surf for boat towing, launch and recovery- it's a lot better than the 2WD estate car I used to have especially on muddy tidal slipways.

Nevillef

Comment

with rear wheel drive you'll probably get out anyway... it's just common sense... auto should pull it out piece of !!!!...

if it looks like loosing traction, then shift it to 4wd... or go for a 3rd gen with centre diff and save the hassle!... does the nissan have a centre diff anyway?
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        if it looks like loosing traction, then shift it to 4wd... or go for a 3rd gen with centre diff and save the hassle!... does the nissan have a centre diff anyway?
        I don't know, never checked. I used 4wd low so I would get out without any problems (the boat weighs about 2 ton).

Looking at a '94 (L) 3ltr TD Auto tomorrow Will this have centre diff?

Comment

Originally posted by TUE
          I don't know, never checked. I used 4wd low so I would get out without any problems (the boat weighs about 2 ton).

A '94 surf or 4runner would be a 2nd generation (mk2) so would not have a centre diff. I think the 3rd gens came in about '96 but watch out for late registered 2nd gens. you can tell the difference when you look at them so get a few pics to compare so u will know what you are looking for when your surf hunting.
          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by TUE

Any Surf should haul this out without having to resort to 4WD. Low range will help to get things moving on a steep slip.

The problem I had with my last car was never engine power but the fact it was front wheel drive. Once the weight of the boat and trailer was on the back there was less weight & therefore less traction on the front. On one occasion in Milford Haven I had to get a couple of bystanders to sit on the bonnet to get things moving! No embarrasing problems like that with the Surf though.

Nevillef

Comment

Well theres one way to find out. I just bought a '94 3ltr Auto SSR-(insert random letter). It has wood effect dash, split front and rear a/c, ew, em, esun roof, adj suspension, some electronic traction control button? ECT, CD player, rear mounted spare wheel, new BFG T/A tyres and various other buttons I have'nt figured out yet, in metallic blue with chrome bumpers, mirrors. I pick it up next week so I can go launch my boat and try it at the weekend . Then find some mud and see what it can do
              Last edited by TUE; 6 March 2005, 15:33.

Comment

good for you m8 far better truck than the nissan i use a 2.4 for recovering my boat on sand not had to use 4 wheel drive yet good luck with your new truck will keep my eyes open for you (im in heathfield near newton abbot )

Comment

Originally posted by TUE
                  Well theres one way to find out. I just bought a '94 3ltr Auto SSR-(insert random letter). It has wood effect dash, split front and rear a/c, ew, em, esun roof, adj suspension, some electronic traction control button? ECT, CD player, rear mounted spare wheel, new BFG T/A tyres and various other buttons I have'nt figured out yet, in metallic blue with chrome bumpers, mirrors. I pick it up next week so I can go launch my boat and try it at the weekend . Then find some mud and see what it can do
                  sounds like a ssr-G, ECT is electronicly controlled transmision, the way it was explained to me was "press this if u want it to have more of a kick",

post what the buttons u dont know say on them and we will let you know,

Comment

Our `84 4-runner spent the last 13 years launching boats and jet skis before we got it so I dont think you'll have a problem - make sure you get it undersealedtho - the imports generally arnt done and it will rust quickly in sea water!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TUE
                      I don't think you'll regret it- give us a comparison between the Nissan & Toyota when you've had it a few weeks.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
                        sounds like a ssr-G, ECT is electronicly controlled transmision, the way it was explained to me was "press this if u want it to have more of a kick",

post what the buttons u dont know say on them and we will let you know,
                        I pick it up next Monday so will have a play then and if I can't work it out will ask on here.

I had read about the ECT already on here, but the guy I bought it off said it had traction control and he could feel it working when he got stuck in mud?? I think he pressed the ECT button and then the power of press and believe took over. Will check it out properly when I pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by TUE
                          I pick it up next Monday so will have a play then and if I can't work it out will ask on here.

I had read about the ECT already on here, but the guy I bought it off said it had traction control and he could feel it working when he got stuck in mud?? I think he pressed the ECT button and then the power of press and believe took over. Will check it out properly when I pick it up.
                          Hi
                          I have a 1994 SSRX 2.4 witch pulls my boat with no problems, my boat with trailor weighs about 2 tonne as well I have only had to put mine in 4WD once to get my boat of sand as the tide was coming in all other times I use 2WD.

Just remmber to give your bus a good wash down underneath as salt water can be nasty as you will allready know.

Also try not to use the ETC a lot as this will increase fuel consumption.

Hope this helps

Steve.
                          The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

Originally posted by biglift

Also try not to use the ETC a lot as this will increase fuel consumption.

Steve.
                            I'd also leave the overdrive off if towing heavy stuff as well.

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
                            X