To buy or not to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy?

I have fallen in love with a silver toyota hilux surf 2.4 ssr-x J reg and garage is asking £4200 for it inc 12 months warranty.I am not sure if I should go with my heart and buy it but I am worried about the cooling probs associated with the 2.4, the running costs, insurance and financing it!
    Can any of you give me advice please, it's driving me mad!!?
    Thanks
    [COLOR=Red]Fallen4Hilux[/COLOR]

sometime you have pain, sometimes you don't... but like any good relationship, if you work at it, and take the rough with the smooth... the smooth wins...

and by the way, the permament grin takes all the pain away...

Be careful, and take your time to choose. Get the vehicle checked over, and mileage checked. Check to see if they have the original de-certification papers from Japan... always tells a story.

And check it yourself, plenty of information here to help you make your mind up.

andyL

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Andy, it all just seems too good to be true at the moment! The garage happens to be in the back of beyond in rural Wales, just down the road from me, and lo and behold I also have a japanese import company just on my doorstep! (http://vehiclesales.jicconline.co.uk/).
      I went to see the car for the 100th time yesterday, got to sit in it etc,I had a nosey in the glove compartment and looks like the car came from Manchester and the tax ran out last April, so I guess she hasn't been used since then. The body is in very good nick, a bit of rust above one of the windows, looks like they have patched the exhaust though, and the interior is a bit musty and damp with a tear in one of the window films. But to me she looks stunning and just needs a bit of tlc!
      I am looking at finance at the mo, I got a good quote from Tesco Car Insurance yesterday, fully comp inc best recovery etc for £500 p/a.
      Hopefully I'll be able to add her pic soon, if nobody else buys her that is!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fallen4Hilux
        I have fallen in love with a silver toyota hilux surf 2.4 ssr-x J reg and garage is asking £4200 for it inc 12 months warranty.I am not sure if I should go with my heart and buy it but I am worried about the cooling probs associated with the 2.4, the running costs, insurance and financing it!
        Can any of you give me advice please, it's driving me mad!!?
        Thanks
        12 months warranty? Get it down in writing, from the garage that the warranty covers replacing a cracked head. Tell them there is a known problem with this engine type and see how they react.

I'm not saying you will have a problem with this car- most 2.4L owners don't- but it would be good if their warranty covered the main known problem wouldn't it?

If the warranty or garage don't or won't cover this- then you can always walk away.

Nevillef

Comment

Good Advice

Sound advice, thanks Nev, I'm glad I found this site!

Comment

Tax ran out last april!!!
            You want to knock the price down big time rust and all that....
            Ps there can be a problem with tyres if the truck has sat still for close on a year..2ton of pressure on the same spot leads to out of shape tyres search for threads on here
            I bought mine 2.4td ssr ltd for £2400 with some mild scratches on the side has run like a dream
            Mark

Comment

Best Price

Originally posted by madcampbell
              Tax ran out last april!!!
              You want to knock the price down big time rust and all that....
              Ps there can be a problem with tyres if the truck has sat still for close on a year..2ton of pressure on the same spot leads to out of shape tyres search for threads on here
              I bought mine 2.4td ssr ltd for £2400 with some mild scratches on the side has run like a dream
              Mark
              Thanks for the tips Mark!
              The garage said that was the best price for it, hmmmm, maybe I should shop around? Sounds like you got a good deal! The tyres look alright, I need to find out a bit more about it......

Comment

Yep I got a good deal off a friend who had to sell quick.
                I am hooked on it like most here...
                Not sure what the details of your truck is ie..milage age manual or auto ect ect

If your search on this site there is a whole list of checks to do when you go to buy..Check every eletric item works fully...take it for a test drive and you may feel the wobble in the tyres.....check the 4wd drive works..Check the air con works...so on
                like i say search this site and there is a defined list
                Can help you to tell the garage the best price as it has sat there for a year..
                Good luck
                Mark

Comment

Yep I got a good deal off a friend who had to sell quick.
                  I am hooked on it like most here...
                  Not sure what the details of your truck is ie..milage age manual or auto ect ect

If your search on this site there is a whole list of checks to do when you go to buy..Check every eletric item works fully...take it for a test drive and you may feel the wobble in the tyres.....check the 4wd drive works..Check the air con works...so on
                  like i say search this site and there is a defined list
                  Can help you to tell the garage the best price as it has sat there for a year..
                  Good luck
                  Mark
                  Thanks Mark, cross fingers everything is ok with her, couldn't take her for a spin yesterday because the garage had lent her batteries to someone else! They are meant to be phoning me when it's back in one piece!

Comment

.....check the 4wd drive works..
                    But don't do it on tarmac or any other hard/solid surface. That way lies broken bits.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

GoodTip

Originally posted by Slugsie
                      But don't do it on tarmac or any other hard/solid surface. That way lies broken bits.
                      Thanks Slugsie!

Comment

Sounds awfully expensive to me, my old 4Runner 95 on an M plate is up for sale at the dealers I traded it in at for £3500, no rust and runs beautifully on 100k miles, it is a V6 though. So on your description I think you aught to keep looking Im sure there are better deals around.
                        [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by InfraRed
                          Sounds awfully expensive to me, my old 4Runner 95 on an M plate is up for sale at the dealers I traded it in at for £3500, no rust and runs beautifully on 100k miles, it is a V6 though. So on your description I think you aught to keep looking Im sure there are better deals around.
                          Thanks Ian,
                          hmmmm, I definately need to shop around or get the price down!

Comment

I'm currently in the process of buying a 92 (K) plate ssrx 2.4 td for £3995, with only 70,000 miles, no (visible) rust!!, so it proves there ARE cheaper ones about....
                            It just does, OK?

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              I'm currently in the process of buying a 92 (K) plate ssrx 2.4 td for £3995, with only 70,000 miles, no (visible) rust!!, so it proves there ARE cheaper ones about....
                              I've had a look on Autotrader website, there are a few cheaper one's out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X