Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just introducing myself!

Hi everyone!
    My names Dave and I'm in the process of selling my Audi A4 and buying my first Surf! I bought the Audi last year but since then my wife and I have had a baby and as most of you know the baggage that comes with transporting a baby around (just to the supermarket!) can be quite extensive!!
    I started looking for larger hatchbacks but then stumbled upon 4x4's on the Autotrader website,after looking at various makes ie ravs, crv's etc (but all looked to small and plastic!) I spotted a Hi Lux Surf and thought 'they look tough, reliable and safe'.
    Since then I've done a lot of research and I've decided I'd like a dark blue over silver, 3.0l TD SSR-G, around '95 reg, I say the 3 litre as I've read a lot of horror stories about the 2.4 and the SSR-G seems to be the best specced, and 95 onwards as I wanted twin airbags.
    The only problem is the wife isn't 100% on the idea! I've shown her lots of pics but she isn't convinced! So is there any of you guys who live near to Milton Keynes that own a similar model as I'm sure once she's seen one that will swing it!! She likes the look of them but is worried it's too big around town!
    I'd be very grateful for any feedback, the sooner the better - then I can get Surf buying

Hi Dave

Best thing you could do would be to test drive one. I let the wife test drive mine before I bought it (without me being there), when I got in from work that night she told me she had put a deposit on it. Iv'e driven quite a few 4 x 4's and the Surf is the best by a long way. The wife loves the Auto box and the power steering and drives it more than her car (Honda CRX Del Sol).
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
      Hi Dave

Best thing you could do would be to test drive one. I let the wife test drive mine before I bought it (without me being there), when I got in from work that night she told me she had put a deposit on it. Iv'e driven quite a few 4 x 4's and the Surf is the best by a long way. The wife loves the Auto box and the power steering and drives it more than her car (Honda CRX Del Sol).
      Cheers for the reply, I'm trying to find one that's for sale locally so I can get her to test drive one! I'd like the KZN185 model if possible. With these 4x4's being imports are there any pitfalls to avoid?

Comment

Originally posted by dave_wfc
        I'd like a dark blue over silver, 3.0l TD SSR-G, around '95 reg,
        Almost excellent choice, why not a '96 coz then you have the next gen surf (3rd) with its all important selectable 'hard surface 4 wheel drive' which the 2nd gen '95 doesnt have (chassis no. tells).

Otherwise if the price of the '95 over a '96 is the reason, then go for it, great car, great ability, great room for all sorts of improvements/modifications.

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum. Not really any pitfalls with the 3.0, just check all electrics work, rear window, spoiler mirror, doors mirrors, air con etc etc. As for the spec don't count you wont find a lower spec like an SSRX with more on it than an SSRG. Optional extras are a plenty in Japan and they fit them at will, so not uncommon to find two SSRG's that have different stuff on them.
          They are easy to drive, just like driving a car really, comfortable, handle well for a big motor.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
            Almost excellent choice, why not a '96 coz then you have the next gen surf (3rd) with its all important selectable which the 2nd gen '95 doesnt have (chassis no. tells).

Otherwise if the price of the '95 over a '96 is the reason, then go for it, great car, great ability, great room for all sorts of improvements/modifications.
            Hi there, thanks for the reply - I mentioned post 95 as these were equipped with twin airbags but if the 96 models on (KZN185?) are better equipped I'll go for one of those!
            I'm getting a loan from the ever so friendly bank manager so I'll gladly borrow more to get the right model first off.

ps - what benefit is the 'hard surface 4 wheel drive' on the 3rd gen models?

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              Hi, welcome to the forum. Not really any pitfalls with the 3.0, just check all electrics work, rear window, spoiler mirror, doors mirrors, air con etc etc. As for the spec don't count you wont find a lower spec like an SSRX with more on it than an SSRG. Optional extras are a plenty in Japan and they fit them at will, so not uncommon to find two SSRG's that have different stuff on them.
              They are easy to drive, just like driving a car really, comfortable, handle well for a big motor.
              Thanks! I'll keep my options open with regards to the specs! Is the only real difference between SSR-X's and SSR-G's the twin batts and walnut (effect?!) dash?

Comment

I have had my 3lt since August last year and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. It's done some serious off-road work and has towed a double horse box with no problems at all. If you do a search on the Forum there is a lot of good info on what to watch out for with regards to an import vehicle ie. try to get a look at the original Jap log book, get a mileage check etc. A lot of Forum members have posted info on both good dealers and most importantly, which dealers to avoid.There are often a number of Surfs for sale on the Forum which will usually have been well looked after.
                Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
                  I have had my 3lt since August last year and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. It's done some serious off-road work and has towed a double horse box with no problems at all. If you do a search on the Forum there is a lot of good info on what to watch out for with regards to an import vehicle ie. try to get a look at the original Jap log book, get a mileage check etc. A lot of Forum members have posted info on both good dealers and most importantly, which dealers to avoid.There are often a number of Surfs for sale on the Forum which will usually have been well looked after.
                  Cheers, I've seen many dealers on Autotrader and Ebay but as with any car purchase, I just want to make sure I dont get shafted - I'll be sure to post the sellers details on here before I hand over any cash - just in case they're known to be a bit shady.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_wfc
                    Hi there, thanks for the reply - I mentioned post 95 as these were equipped with twin airbags but if the 96 models on (KZN185?) are better equipped I'll go for one of those!
                    I'm getting a loan from the ever so friendly bank manager so I'll gladly borrow more to get the right model first off.

ps - what benefit is the 'hard surface 4 wheel drive' on the 3rd gen models?
                    The 3rd gen model I refer to is a KZN185 as opposed to a 2nd gen KZN130. The 130s were discontinued late '95 but its possible to find a 185 with the 1995 plate. As for which had airbags, I own a '91 and honestly dont know.

The option of driving in 4 wheel drive on a hard surface is something the 3rd gen enjoys over earlier generation models. That means 1st gen surfs (85-89) and 2nd gen surfs (90-95) are 'part time 4wd'. They must be used in 2wd mode on normal tarmac surfaces and only used in 4wd on slippy snowy icy offroad surfaces. To do otherwise invites damage to expensive parts (avoidable by installing a transfer case diff which Toyota didnt do on surfs until late '95).

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                      The 3rd gen model I refer to is a KZN185 as opposed to a 2nd gen KZN130. The 130s were discontinued late '95 but its possible to find a 185 with the 1995 plate. As for which had airbags, I own a '91 and honestly dont know.

The option of driving in 4 wheel drive on a hard surface is something the 3rd gen enjoys over earlier generation models. That means 1st gen surfs (85-89) and 2nd gen surfs (90-95) are 'part time 4wd'. They must be used in 2wd mode on normal tarmac surfaces and only used in 4wd on slippy snowy icy offroad surfaces. To do otherwise invites damage to expensive parts (avoidable by installing a transfer case diff which Toyota didnt do on surfs until late '95).
                      Thanks a lot for that info, I had no idea! I thought that if a surf was 4x4 you could select that regardless of the surface.
                      Well it looks like I'v got a lot to learn but I'm glad I found this forum, hopefully I'll find the right one!

Comment

Is it possible to fit a diff in the transfer case of a 2nd gen surf???

And i bought mine cos the missus loves it and now wants to learn to drive
                        3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Book
                          Is it possible to fit a diff in the transfer case of a 2nd gen surf???

And i bought mine cos the missus loves it and now wants to learn to drive
                          Blimey! It's a bit big for a 'first car'
                          wont a metro do for a bit?!

Comment

You remember the TV ad where they fight over who drives the car

Thats our household trick too

I am forever looking out the front to find Shubie has gone shoppin
                            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Get the 3rd Gen model. I have one and like the fact I can drive in 4WD on the road. I use it all the time when towing things (like lawnrovers) or my hugh trailer. You can also change into 4 hi or low while moving, (just put it in neutral then move the selector (making sure you aren't going too fast for the new gear)... Very reliable and comfortable...

Comment

Working...
                              X