Fat Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Birds

Yesterday I was just about to throw away an offcut of waste pipe, left over from making the snorkel for the Zook, when I had an idea.

There was an old bath plug amongst the junk that has gathered in the shed. I replaced the chain with a piece of strong twine.I found that I could easily pull it through the pipe and it stayed square.

I went indoors and got the past it's use by 1Lb of lard that I had noticed in the fridge, some oats, some stale bread and wild bird seed. I melted the lard and let it cool a bit, mixed in the other ingredients and pushed it into the pipe from the top, with the plug in the bottom and the string sticking out of the top. I hung it in the shed overnight.
    This morning it had set solid. I pushed the mixture out from the bottom using an offcut of 1.5"x1.5" timber. I hung the rod of fat and stuff in a tree in the garden. The birds have been going mad over it all day. I have seen all kinds of tits and other woodland birds. The blackbirds and sparrows have been clearing up all the bits that the hanging feeders have dropped.
    I have also made sure that the bird bath is not frozen over so they can bathe and drink.
    Don't forget our feathered friends in this cold weather.
    I'm going to see if I can get some wildlife pictures tomorrow if they haven't eaten it all.
    It's only a hobby!

are you a closet northerner?... lard in the fridge indeed!

remember natural selection and survival of the fittest when feeding wildlife!... don't come crying to us when they !!!! all over your car in the summer!

i had to rant cos i noticed i was first to read the "fat birds" thread!
    Last edited by da SLUG man; 22 February 2005, 19:37.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

for a minute i thought u ment somthing different... and was wondering how your suspension manged the weight...

Comment

you better leave a bowl of that L imuniti cassis stuff they give healthy people to keep their colesterol down. dont want the little birdies having heart a strokes
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man

remember natural selection and survival of the fittest when feeding wildlife!... don't come crying to us when they !!!! all over your car in the summer!
          It was past it's smell by because we hardly ever use it, except for when I decide to make an additive-free (Sudan 1) pie or two for the freezer.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            It was past it's smell by because we hardly ever use it, except for when I decide to make an additive-free (Sudan 1) pie or two for the freezer.
            up north they cook everything in lard!... boiled potatoes, carrots, sandwiches, ice cream, salad, lemonade... you name it, there be lard in it!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              What you trying to say there Matt??????

We use the lard to feed our whippets, ferrets, and homing pigeons......i'll roll my cap to you.........but it ain't burberry, you've got a reet southern opinion of us ooop north "ar kid"

Comment

My surf always pulls to the left when the wifes in the truck

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
                  My surf always pulls to the left when the wifes in the truck
                  Mine pulls to the right. Can I borrow her when I do long motorway journeys? Lesley weighs just under 8St and is no good for ballast.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

I so thought there was going to be a reference to a moped in this thread...
                    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

I thought he meant these.
                      Attached Files
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

referee!
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Damn!!!!! marky nearly brought me dinner up!!!!!

And could you keep your erm!!! how shall i say it photographic perversions to yourself as this is a family site!!!
                          I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            I thought he meant these.
                            HUBBA HUBBA..

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                              HUBBA HUBBA..
                              BLUBBA BLUBBA..........

Rick
                              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                              X