Whippet Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whippet Wanted

I know not particularly surfy, but here goes, I currently have a 5 yr old whippet and he is fed up kipping in the back of the surf on his own. So I want to rehome another one (or two!) whippets, but because I live in the south there does'nt seem to be many around here!. They seem to be mainly in the midlands anf north. I have tried most rescue forums and sites but no luck yet. So if anyone hears of any that are looking for a home please let me know by email. pm or thru the forum. I can travel to most places in UK.
    Heres hoping!

Hiya

(I am new here and picking up our first Surf on the weekend, which is very very exciting!!)

I'm an area coordinator for a national Greyhound and Lurcher rescue. I will keep an eye out for you and will PM you some links to some dog rescue forums. I know of a cracking little whippet/lurcher cross that is looking for a home.

Sian xxx

Comment

Hi there does it have to be a Whippet? I've got plenty of Border Collies here .

Just had a look in The Kennel Club Dog Rescue Directory, and there is a Whippet rescue in Cardington, Beds, which I think is close(ish) to you.

If you want the details drop me an email at collie.rescue@btinternet.com, and I'll forward them onto you.

Duane
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Only whippet rescue in uk. All points lead back to her.

J.R. Whippet Rescue
        Mrs. Linda Jones
        2 Chapel Cottages
        Copley Road
        Cardington, Beds, MK44 3SJ
        Phone: 01234 838927
        Note: Linda does not have a web page yet - please call or write her for assistance.
        (If num not up to date she is all over web.)

Or you could try local breeders who may have unofficial whippet rescue. Most rescue's are X (lots of). Whippet people don't easily lose or get rid of this placid, intelligent and loyal breed.

Good luck.
        [COLOR=Lime][SIZE=3][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]What am I doing with a big 'ol surf?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
          I know not particularly surfy, but here goes, I currently have a 5 yr old whippet and he is fed up kipping in the back of the surf on his own. So I want to rehome another one (or two!) whippets, but because I live in the south there does'nt seem to be many around here!. They seem to be mainly in the midlands anf north. I have tried most rescue forums and sites but no luck yet. So if anyone hears of any that are looking for a home please let me know by email. pm or thru the forum. I can travel to most places in UK.
          Heres hoping!
          Your lucky My whippet wont sleep in the back of the Surf. He stresses out when ever I leave him either in the Surf or at home!, but they are a lovely dog, I would not have any other breed.

Any way we got ours from a breeder in Worthing if you are interested in that avenue let me know and I will dig out her no for you!

Paul
          DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Its a bit of a trek but worth a call, K9 dog rescue in Witham Essex on 01268 725825. They get loads of Lurchers and Longdogs and are very sensible about rehoming unlike some organisations.I got my 2 Saluki Longdogs from them and my avatar is a picture of salome, my Saluki/ Whippet X.
            Hope this helps.
            Keef
            A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

you might also want to try a couple of independents such as HULA in Aspley Guise or Appledown in Eaton Bray - always some very deserving doggies there!
              Good luck with your search,
              Lou

Comment

Okay I'm a dork with PM's and emails.

Here is a link for you....

Greyhound Gap
                Dog Rescue Pages

Comment

I know not particularly surfy, but here goes,
                  It may not be particularly 'surfy', but I would say it's completely relevant to this forum.......

They're all 'barking'

Comment

thanx for all the responses!.
                    phew that was quick!. It is really only a whippet that I want but thanx for the offers . Some of the rescues and sites I know, some I don't. I know that people don't tend to move whippets on 'cos of the temperament and personality which is virtually why I am seeking one.
                    Thankyou jenksandjones, it really is a pure whippet I am looking for. Do you know what the cross is crossed with? and how tall is it?.
                    Ta maverick, I will let you know about getting from a breeder.
                    Ta keef will give Witham Essex a call, could do with a spin round M25 when it's quiet!!!.Thankyou purpledoris will chk out Hula and Appledown.
                    I am sure there will be on or two somewhere

Comment

thanx for all the responses!.
                      phew that was quick!. It is really only a whippet that I want but thanx for the offers . Some of the rescues and sites I know, some I don't. I know that people don't tend to move whippets on 'cos of the temperament and personality which is virtually why I am seeking one.
                      Thankyou jenksandjones, it really is a pure whippet I am looking for. Do you know what the cross is crossed with? and how tall is it?.

No problem, whippets DO come into rescue but usually there is a waiting list for them. JR Whippet Rescue being the ones to contact there. Saying that, there are plenty in mixed breed or lurcher rescues, though they may be of the working not show variety. I had a tiny tiny Whippet foster (not much bigger than an Iggy) last year who got snapped up very quickly. I would have kept her myself but I had a very ill greyhound at the time too. She was adorable and was brought over from Ireland where they are pretty much unrehomable. Thats another option for you, but make sure you go through a proper rescue (UK or Irish) should things not work out.

Anyway, the one Gap has is probably Whippet/Collie/Beagle (poss foxhound), hes whippet sized but with a hound head.

Good luck

Sian xxx

Comment

Look what I found you.....

Florence

Hope she is suitable.

Comment

i knew i shouldnt have looked at that...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

the animal welfare trust on the A41 in watford has got quite few at the moment.
                            2nd time unlucky with an import

Comment

Florence finds a home!

Yep I looked and was hooked. Thanx 'jenksandjones' for your link to
                              florence. I contacted her fosterer and after a homecheck and some emailing florence has now come to live us and our whippet Skye. I have tried to PM jenksand jones but this is a quick thankyou. Last Saturday we set off from
                              Buckinghamshire down the M4 to visit the rellies in Thornbury and to see and pick up Flo (possibly to be named Belle?). On leaving Thornbury to cross Severn Bridge, (outside Aust) we rounded the corner and was stopped by a bloke in the middle of the road, who asked if we could tow him out a ditch he had got stuck in.He pointed to his LR Discovery well stuck .He says I was just passing and fancied a bit of greenlane. He said he had driven up the enmbankment and had slid sideways down in to what looked like a monsoon ditch. While I reversed surf down embankment he was on the phone to his brother, apparently he had done the same thing in the same place the previous week!. He then said to his brother that the surf probably wouldn't pull it out as we ONLY had road tyres and wouldn't be strong enough.
                              So we hooked up rope and tow strap and whacked it into 4WD and off we went, next thing we are out off ditch and hammering up the road with him shouting slow down!. Afterwards he said he was well impressed, he didn 't think the surf had it in her!.
                              Then said sorry couldn't offer any money but would buy me a drink next time. I said the first one is free!!!
                              Driving to Cardiff to see dog I nearly split my face smiling, Unfortunately no fotos. Will post some fotos of dogs soon

Comment

Working...
                              X