running on vegie oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running on vegie oil...

Well considering diesel is about 90p per L now i am considering running on vegie oil but i have few questions...

What is the other thing u mix it with? (forgott wether it was meths or turps somthing like that...),
    What sort of mixture of oil / the other thing would be good?
    Would it be ok to mix a bit of diesel in with it?
    Will it do any / much damage to the eng?
    Were would be good to get it from in the conwy area (north wales)?
    What sort of price would it work out at (have heard rumors of 20 - 30p per L),

not got my surf yet but i am already worrying about fuel costs (going from 35mpg ish golf to 25mpg ish hilux)

ok found some info on here on old topics... so basicly i need to filter it down to less than 5 microns and mix it pretty much 50/50 with diesel... not too bad (ammount of takeaways / chip shops round here i am sure one would give me free oil),

should have one of them pond filter boxes some were... and can get my hands on drums... all i need then is a few filter surfaces...

should be interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
      Well considering diesel is about 90p per L now i am considering running on vegie oil but i have few questions...

What is the other thing u mix it with? (forgott wether it was meths or turps somthing like that...),
      What sort of mixture of oil / the other thing would be good?
      Would it be ok to mix a bit of diesel in with it?
      Will it do any / much damage to the eng?
      Were would be good to get it from in the conwy area (north wales)?
      What sort of price would it work out at (have heard rumors of 20 - 30p per L),

not got my surf yet but i am already worrying about fuel costs (going from 35mpg ish golf to 25mpg ish hilux)
      hi Ste00,

I just mix mine with diesel in tha tank - yep pour it in !!!

I use plain old Veg oil from Lidl 46p a litre (+ 27.1p if you keep legal and declare)

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

thanks, think i will use used stuff though as i want to make a big saving (i am a tight g*t really lol *cough* student */cough*)

and of course i will keep it legal already got a speeding ticket against my name that was getting close to deep s*** dont want to push my luck in anything else...

Comment

thanks, think i will use used stuff though as i want to make a big saving (i am a tight g*t really lol *cough* student */cough*)

and of course i will keep it legal already got a speeding ticket against my name that was getting close to deep s*** dont want to push my luck in anything else...
          Well running veg oil is a dead giveaway to even a sufferer of flu !!

Time to get an EX103 from customs - remember you are making biodiesel.

enjoy the monthly forms to fill in

Trev

Comment

yeah the monthly form thing is kinda putting me off a bit...

but if i could get the oil free and the duty of 20 odd p its really cheap that way i could keep the tank full otherwise i think i am gonna sturggle with the mpg the surf gets...

Comment

you have mail

Comment

yeah thanks, i might do that some time, but for now i would rather keep it on the forums so its able to help others out with any problems i hit and stuff,

gonna phone the HM customs number tomorrow for the forms and look for some cheap filters round here (if i have enought petrol in my golf lol),

think i will end up getting it from ether a local chippy or a cash and carry up the road but i want it as cheap as poss as i want to do a few high milage trips soon that i wouldnt evean consider in my golf (35-40mpg petrol), so my costs need to drop a lot,

so i have a lot of work to do tomorrow (gotta see if my cheques have cleared too so i can pay the guy i am getting the surf off some more cash)

Comment

Veg Oil

Hiya UDTREV, I've been looking into running my Surf on veg Oil. various websites tell me i can run it on 100% veg oil ? A guy near me sells 50-50 derv/veg mix should I go for that ? and what about filters ? do i need to replace them more often ?

Ta Robin xx

Comment

50/50 is not too bad a mix, in winter you need to have Derv in the tank as Veg Oil thickens at a higher temperature than Derv

During the summer then go higher.

I run regular new Veg Oil as then I don't need to muck around removing fats etc.

Your fuel filter may suffer from the beginning of running the Veg Oil as it can drag the crap up out of the tank, but it didn't affect the Hippo.

Trev

Comment

I didn't suffer the dreaded blocked filters when I started using vegoil.

I am sourcing parts for a homebrew heat exchanger, so I can preheat the vegoil to about 60deg C before it reaches the fuel pump and run a higher mix. I plan to have a small (5 gallon) diesel tank where the underslung spare wheel used to be and solenoid valves to switch from derv to veggie after warm-up. 100% won't be unrealistic in Summer with a preheater and 80% wouldn't be unreasonable in Winter.

I'll post some pics when I get the prototype exchanger built.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Pre heating

Yikes Phil, sounds complicated but its what the Diesel engine was designed for,(sorry,..preaching to the converted!) and its great when arguing the case for 4x4's. I'm just off for my first fill up of 50-50 mix, 77p a litre, does that sound right?

Robin

SOMEDAY ALL CARS WILL BE MADE THS WAY

Comment

Hi Robin,

When I buy my Veg Oil I pay 73.1 per litre (46p from Lidl + 27.1p for duty).

If the duty has been paid for that 77p per litre then it's not too bad a price.

Trev

Comment

can i just check some more things since i have a fool i know bugging me over this...

1, do i need to make any mods to the car to run on vegie oil and diesel mixed 50/50?
                            2, do i need to add anything to the vegie oil? (apart from the diesel...)

Comment

can i just check some more things since i have a fool i know bugging me over this...

1, do i need to make any mods to the car to run on vegie oil and diesel mixed 50/50?
                              2, do i need to add anything to the vegie oil? (apart from the diesel...)
                              Well to answer that I do have no mods to the Hippo, and I just mix the Veggie into the tank.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                              X