Having just read the above posts here comes another dumbass question:

[dumb] what is the point of permanent 4wd on road cars? [/dumb]
    Ian
    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys

for handling don't get over/ understeer like on front/rear wheel drive cars...

not saying i want to use it on the road!... but i can if i want!!

surely 2wd would be more fun in snow!!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
        for handling don't get over/ understeer like on front/rear wheel drive cars...

not saying i want to use it on the road!... but i can if i want!!

surely 2wd would be more fun in snow!!
        2WD is definately more fun. I had a 2.8 quattro and it was firkin awesome and I only ever got it sideways once, bit boring after a while.

For the average motorist (average (or none!) skid control skills) you get a totally balanced car and significantly more grip in slippery conditions which makes them safer.

On the boy racer side its also also great for traffic light grand prix (not recommended in a Surf) - full revs, drop clutch, take off like missile, was good fun - hated the car though the ride used to make me feel sea sick, much prefer BM's - rear wheel drive - come on!
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Permenant 4wd is a bouns on greasy roads, should be called all-wheel drive really, and is no good offroad cos the center diff will make the car drive like a front or rear wheel drive car as the center diff shunts traction between the front and back axles. That's why you need a diff lock in the tranfer case to make it work in full time 4wd like our 1st and 2nd Gen trucks.

All-wheel-drive IS better on greasy roads, as has been noted, in 2wd a heavy 4x4 (any 4x4, not just a surf) will step out easily in the wet when you get on the power in a corner, try it in a 3rd gen, in all-wheel drive and as long as you have a little room, and the bottle to stay on the throttle, it is really hard to spin it, as you steer into the skid, the front axle keeps the truck going forwards, over coming the back wanting to slide out. but not really needed generally, thats why Mr Toyoda lets the 3rd Gen owners still have 2wd for normal conditions, Disco and Rangy drivers are stuck with allwheel drive whether they like it on not.

Remember, 4wd lets you pull away faster in snow and rain, but it doen't help you stop much faster, so don't get carried away!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by icsys

If you are a keen press on driver try and get a go in a Subaru Impreza turbo. I was fortunate enough to be loaned one to take on a trip to Wales for a long weekend. THE MOST AWESOME CAR I HAVE EVER HAD THE PRIVILAGE TO THRASH SENSELESS . Just amazing GRIPGRIPGRIP and GRUNTGRUNTGRUNT, ROUNDABOUTS...WOW, and I shall have one oneday to go with my luverly Surf.

Steve

Comment

dumb & dumber

OK. read all that. so how do I find out what gen my surf is ? It's a 94/5 3.0td ltd.

The 4x4 shift has L4-N-H on it. I usually use it in H on 2wd but did notice this morning on a wet greasy road that the back end was trying to catch the front. Am I doing something wrong ?

Steve

Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Post a pic or look on the VIN plate - KN130 is 2nd gen ...185 is 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by cheezygrinon
                  If you are a keen press on driver try and get a go in a Subaru Impreza turbo. I was fortunate enough to be loaned one to take on a trip to Wales for a long weekend. THE MOST AWESOME CAR I HAVE EVER HAD THE PRIVILAGE TO THRASH SENSELESS . Just amazing GRIPGRIPGRIP and GRUNTGRUNTGRUNT, ROUNDABOUTS...WOW, and I shall have one oneday to go with my luverly Surf.

Steve
                  My old boss had a Lancia Intergralie HF blaa, blaa, the pukka WRC homologation special (damn, thats all hard spelling) I borrowed it once cos the van was broke and it was awesome!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    My old boss had a Lancia Intergralie HF blaa, blaa, the pukka WRC homologation special (damn, thats all hard spelling) I borrowed it once cos the van was broke and it was awesome!!!!!!!

A friend of mine also had an integrale and I would have to agree, Bl""dy marvelous. Although I never got to thash it quite as mercelously as i did the Scooby. Also kept trying to open the window when changing gear

Comment

Originally posted by ssrx
                      OK. read all that. so how do I find out what gen my surf is ? It's a 94/5 3.0td ltd.

The 4x4 shift has L4-N-H on it. I usually use it in H on 2wd but did notice this morning on a wet greasy road that the back end was trying to catch the front. Am I doing something wrong ?

Steve

Sounds like a normal 2nd Gen (truck type tailgate, 3rd gens have a hatchback type tailgate)

You just need 2wd H for normal driving, and slow down in the wet on corners! All lot of Jap tyres are really hard compound, they last for years, but suck on wet roads, lots of people find things a lot better after buying new rubber.

But at the end of the day, a 2 ton RWD car isn't gonna wanna go round greasy corners with the go pedal pressed down. (especially if the Turbo spools up as your half way round! )

Comment

Gen

Hi Rich,

well mine says KZN130, 2nd gen ??

While we are on 4wd. had an imprezza, but also had an audi s6 4wd 2.8 twin turbo rocket. left the imprezza standing. The day i picked it up i was clocking 140 on the m6 with a gear to go. My mate didnt believe it til I gave him whiplash after accelerating from standing to 60 in 200yds, poor bugger was in a brace for a week.

get to play in loads as i reposses em !!

steve

ssrx

Comment

Hi Rich,

Yeah, 2nd Gen

While we are on 4wd. had an imprezza, but also had an audi s6 4wd 2.8 twin turbo rocket. left the imprezza standing. The day i picked it up i was clocking 140 on the m6 with a gear to go. My mate didnt believe it til I gave him whiplash after accelerating from standing to 60 in 200yds, poor bugger was in a brace for a week.

LOL

Good job!

steve

ssrx

Comment

Hi Rich,

steve

ssrx

Hope not to meet you one day
                            I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Steve

As for the back end, drive it round bends. If you alter anything whilst cornering it don't like it and will throw it back in your face.
                              Come of the pedal, put the pedal down or turn the wheel or alter anything and the back end will move whilst cornering, drive it smoothly and it sticks, also suspension on hard setting whilst cornering limits body roll and makes for better cornering.
                              Line it up and drive it smoothly.
                              So keep it smooth through/round the bends and it behaves, alter anything and it will missbehave.

As Tony once said ban traction control, 4 wheel drive and front wheel drive on cars and bring back some drivers skills.
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

driving

Been a long time since I've driven a rwd for any length of time so having to re learn old skills. Must admit at the time of the backend going i was teaching a little p***t a lesson, not to mess with a surf. Amazing how they give in racing their little saxo when 2 ton of metal hurtles at em.

Comment

Working...
                                X