Comment

Originally posted by The Duke
      i feel for you mate
      CHEERS RUDI
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

It has got to be worth some time doing them a letter don’t cost much…

The entrance sign is ambiguous and misleading
        Max headroom 1.8m can be read as at the highest point the ceiling could be from the floor is 1.8m high and at times it could be lower.
        This would serve as no useful purpose as car drivers would be unable to ascertain if their vehicle would get stuck in the car park or not rendering the sign useless. However a more common in practice and procedure would be that the sign meant Max headroom of the vehicles to enter the building was to be 1.8m. This gives drivers the information needed as to whether or not their vehicle could enter the building un scathed.
        Either way for them to revise the Max height once you have entered the building with your vehicle is gross negligence on their behalf and could have resulted in a more serious accident in which you or your occupants were hurt. ( oh yes how is your whip lash and is your neck sore ) ((all these come from delayed shock after the accident))

Finally the SMALL sign used to warn the unsuspecting motorist is placed high above normal driving view in lettering so small you can actually clearly read car registrations a full 25 meters further away better than the height indicated on the so called warning sign.

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

as i said earlier mark but if i was you then i would seek some legal advice first and then go from there or go to c. a .b at least that way you will know if you have a case to fight.We all know that you have but it's the b****y legal system that sucks
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Blimey mate. Sorry to hear about this one. I've come close a few times myself. Luckily I got a roof rack to hit first!

As you said its an excuse for a repaint!
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

We could all boycote it.....i'd come down if others would....
              3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Hi Marky,

Really sorry to see this mate . When did it happen - Thursday ?
                I had a similar accident years ago - I used to fuel my Truck up on Corley services N/bound M6 every other day with the same hight trailer and they closed it to fully refurbish the whole station. The next time I called in after it was reopened the top front of my trailer caught the NEW CANOPY !!! The hight sign said MAX HIGHT 15' feet my trailer was 14' 10" but when the insurance co. sent an assessor the next day they measured the actual hight as 14' 6" 6 inches lower than indicated by the sign !!! It turned out the new fittings around the edge of the canopy were lower than the original and nobody had messed it and / or changed the sign !!! So Shell ended up with the bill for the canopy my trailer recovery and loan / hire of another trailer plus a load of other cost !!! The total bill was about £8,000

The Funny thing looking back about this was that the Canopy and paying kiosk / shop was all part of one structure and when I hit it at approx 20 mph fully loaded all the false ceiling in the shop fell in and at least half a dozen people inside and staff all run out total covered in dust !!! but it wasn't funny at the time cos they all thought It was my fault hitting the canopy with an over-hight trailer. There was also a load of bikers fuelling up and they couldn't stand up for laughing !!!

If you haven't already done it Marky make sure you measure the exact height where it hit you might find it's even lower than it say's !!!

Andy.
                Last edited by Driver; 12 February 2005, 08:42.
                I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

Im already onto it ANDY. Worse things happen at sea i suppose
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Im already onto it ANDY. Worse things happen at sea i suppose
                    They can't do Mark ,we don't drive our surfs at sea, good luck
                    Tony
                    www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                      Im not Happy went into a carpark today that i have used before to find they have changed the VISITORS parking to the ground floor & basement levels.
                      Only to hear SCRAPE as i was going into the lower level. Now my ROOF is full of scratches & dents .
                      Does anyone know the Minimum Legal Character size for these warning signs as i reckon the characters are too small. Thats my Arguement anyway

Hi Marky

Check the height of your surf. if it doesn't exceed 1.75 metre on level ground, the you have a case against the car park owners for negligence and you can sue them for damages as the signs were misleading. they however will have any damage is your problem get out clause. it may be worth having a word with you insurance company.
                      ScubaSurf

The place to be is under the sea

Comment

any updates Marky?
                        ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Yes its still scratched. Im waiting for a reply from a surveyor who has taken measurements etc.
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

just got pc back from being mended, cant leave you alone for a minute can i !! sorry to hear about your roof bud
                            THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Its not as bad as it looks
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

max headroom obviously refers to the maximum height of the vehicle, not the structure. your insurance should cover the legal aspect of a claim, the carpark owners have a duty of care and responsibilty to all members of the public, what would have been the outcome if someone had been seriously hurt or worse, who would have been responsible then, if you know the exact height of your vehicle prior to you entering the carpark, and had plenty of clearance then it cannot possibly be your fault, the carpark owners were negligent by neglecting to provide adequate warning of lower ceilings. however, if you damaged the roof by reversing into the lower overhangs, and these were clearly marked as lower, then you have a duty of care also, if you were reversing into a bay and couldn't see properly, then you shouldn't have reversed. The max headroom sign is correct in allowing vehicles below that height to enter and drive through the carpark, the section of the carpark with the restricted height parking should be marked as such. Give the HSE a call and report this 'dangerous occurance' they would be able to tell if the signage is adequate. (measure your truck, stick a sticker of the height on your visor, it's 'always' been there.) Good luck.

www.hse.gov.uk
                                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Working...
                                X