Thinking of buying a used Hilux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a used Hilux

Can anyone give me some idea of what they are like in terms of reliability, handling, comfort and fuel consumption? I am looking at a 2.4TD SSRX.

Thanks guys
    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

For a 4wd Truck they are very comfy its just like driving a car.
    How much do you want to spend ? Have you looked in the SURFS for sale section.
    The SURF weighs in at around 2tonne it has the aerodynamics of a bus
    mpg ranges from 20-28 depending on how you drive.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi! take one for a test drive and if you get the chance to test the one you are going to buy, give it some serious welly up hill and down dale but keep an eye on the temp !
      One of the best vehicles you will ever own!
      How much!

Comment

I could not vouch for the 2.4, as I have a 3.0, but I have owned it for a year today, and other than service, front wiper blades and MOT(clear pass!) it has been the only car I have ever owned not to break a component or let me down. and that includes Land Rover, VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and sadly a Renault.....

The day it gets sold will be the day they prise the V5 from my cold dead fingers!
        Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

That can be arranged!!! ( damn!!! i should not avertise for business on here)
          I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
            Can anyone give me some idea of what they are like in terms of reliability, handling, comfort and fuel consumption? I am looking at a 2.4TD SSRX.

Thanks guys
            Reliability wise a 2.4L is quite good for what is going to be at least a 13 year old car. Toyota build quality on these is bullet proof as they were made in Japan for the Japanese home market. There is an issue with 2.4L cylinder heads but it doesn't necessarily affect all vehicles.

Nevillef

Comment

I have a 2.4 td ssr manual 1991 (14yrs old)

120,000 KM on the clock (still an infant some have gone on for 300,000 +)

Cost £2,400 (little bit of cosmetic damage to two doors)((only seen when polished))

Third party fire and theft (60%no calaims + Protected no claims) £300 Direct line((had to fit an imobiliser Cat 2 ? about £120 with man coming out to me))

Fuel is diesel about £45 to fill the tank and depending on speed 380 > 450 KM per tank

It is a joy to Drive once you get used to being left behind at green traffic lights by most other forms of transport( apart from battery powerd milk float)

If you want power go for the 3ltr if you have lots of points on your licence go for the 2.4

Hope this helps

Mark

Comment

Great yokes. The issue laser jock refers to is cracked cylinder heads on some 2.4TDs around 20%. That means that 80% have had no head trouble. Pretty good for cars of 13 years or older, in my opinion...

Have a search around this forum. Many people, including me, asked the same questions before we bought ours. We still bought them.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11137

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10934

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10898

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10876

It's all here if you look for it...

Mark
                :

Comment

All i can say is

Sod it Think of the Grin Factor
                  Last edited by mark g8awo; 3 February 2005, 17:32.
                  Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
                  X