Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undersealing

Sorry if this a repeat thread.

A bit new to all the technical stuff, I have a few questions on undersealing of the Surf.
    Had my surf a good Six months now, managed to do fluid changes(with help from this web site I may add). Been reading a bit on undersealing, I assume it is for corrosion protection.
    1. How do I be sure that it has been done to my Surf..dealer a bit sketchy(urr ..umm ..not sure kind of bloke)
    2. Is it an easy process to carry out( In other words can a new bloke like me have a go?)
    3. Where can I get hold of the kit..

Would appreciate any advice.
    Darren

P.S any Surfers in the South Coast, everyone on this site seems to be a bit further up the map.

Hi Darren

There are a few of us down here but not that many.Im from Worthing so not far from you and UDTrev is in Haywards heath.

For the under sealing unless you have the right gear it is a bit hit and miss. I am looking for someone to do mine professionally .Im told with the right gear it will only take an hour ,so im gonna pay for someone else to do it.

Ill let you know how i get on.

cheers

Mike
    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Thanx Mike Appreciate that.

D

Comment

Yes Mike I would also be interested, I have seen some incredible prices for the job. I am about to get under there myself with a bl!!dy great paint brush
        [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

There are loads of threads about undersealing on here, try searching for
          DINITROL or WAXOYL, chunky monkey and myself have been looking into it and all the firms that we have found charge a fortune, I know most of them will do a good job and the time consuming bit is preparing the vehicle, i.e. steam cleaning and rust removal before actually applying the coatings.
          From the guys I have spoke to I think doing the job your self is not too hard just very messy and as long as you take your time I think the coatings are fairly forgiving to apply, i.e. you just spray and it fills in everywhere.
          I think www.rust.co.uk do a kit for 100 quid which gives you a spray gun and all the dirrefent coatings they recormend to protect the car along with some plastic hole blocks.
          Hope that helps a bit

Comment

do it yourself with a kit from halfords - about 25 quid for the pump and spray gun and 1 tin of waxoyl - you will need about 3-4 large cans of the wayoyl though. messy job but easy enough. took me about 2 hours in all. Handy to have a mate to pump air into the can while you are underneath the truck.
            [IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/DONKR1/me.jpg[/IMG]
            [url]www.qube-art.co.uk[/url]

Comment

When the time comes, I'll be doing mine myself with Dinitrol products.

http://www.frost.co.uk/

(look under "rust").

Till then, I'm using my power washer every week or two to get into all the nooks & crannies I can get at under my Surf - just a thorough water rinse.

I have access to a garage lift through a guy in work, so I'd be a fool not to take advantage...

I'll be doing it like this:

With wheels removed, give the underside a thorough jetwash.
              Using wire brushes & scrapers, remove any heavy rust & flaking paint.
              Another quick blast with the jetwash.
              When it's all dry, start application:
              1. Dinitrol RC900 rust converter (leaves a finish like black paint). This is an aerosol spray, but I might use a brush too, to really get in everywhere.
              2. Dinitrol 3125 wax treatment (similar to Waxoyl).
              3. Dinitrol 4941 black rubberised treatment.

I might take off the rear springs and all 4 dampers while I'm doing it - I'd like to keep their original colours (I hope to replace the 4 dampers & torsion bars this year). If I do the underbody treatment job before I replace the suspension stuff, I'll leave them on.

Lucky gave me this good advice ages ago, but as with everything I want to do, I just have to wait till there's free cash in the kitty...

I don't see why this job can't be done, with a little research, by the average Joe. It would be tough if you couldn't lift the Surf high enough to at least sit under it.

Good luck,

Mark
              :

Comment

Working...
              X