Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da SLUG man
    ok... shall i start again??

i had the idea that all i needed was a wireless card in laptop, wireless in desktop and a ADSL Router...
    plug router into phone line in place of broadband modem, plug one card in each computer... run the network wizard and bob's your uncle!

but no... the router needs an ethernet connection to desktop computer to work... that computer has no ethernet connection... plus, would i need to have both computers switched on to connect to internet etc??... kind of defeats the object as i could just plug laptop into the wall!!

i'm baffled!... do they do anything that is actually wireless? i'm gonna take all this crap and shove it up pcworld mans ass!!
    Matt or Bob or what ever you want to call your self, I have a wireless network on which we run 3 computers at home, 1, my computer which is the main one and the router plugs into via an ethernet conection, 2, is Jennys laptop that can connect to the internet any where in the house, and 3 is Adams in his bedroom that also connects wire free to the internet.
    So the answer to your question is you need an ethernet card to put into your main computer so you can then run your laptop wire free anywhere in the house.

And no you don't need the main computer switched on to run the other one on the internet
    Last edited by jotto; 31 January 2005, 23:21.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
      Matt or Bob or what ever you want to call your self, I have a wireless network on which we run 3 computers at home, 1, my computer which is the main one and the router plugs into via an ethernet conection, 2, is Jennys laptop that can connect to the internet any where in the house, and 3 is Adams in his bedroom that also connects wire free to the internet.
      So the answer to your question is you need an ethernet card to put into your main computer so you can then run your laptop wire free anywhere in the house.

And no you don't need the main computer switched on to run the other one on the internet
      cushtie!... hmmm... gotta go buy another card then!... will i be able to program the robot to get beer ot the fridge?
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

cushtie!... hmmm... gotta go buy another card then!... will i be able to program the robot to get beer ot the fridge?

NO
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

so, is the ethernet just for setting it up?... i'm guessing it must be if the computer it's connected to doesn't need to be switched on??...

if so i could use laptop to set up then with normal use could connect both wirelessly?... oh how confusing!!...

Comment

who is your ISP?
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

If you have a wireless ASDL Modem/router then that is what it is wireless. Although they usually come with 4 Ethernet ports at the rear so you can plug a wired computer in if you want. As long as the computers you are wanting to use have wireless network cards installed they will work with the Router. A wireless router can handle up to 274 computers on the same network. I have three all running wirelessly. and I can use any or all on the Internet at the same without the main one having to be switched on. As long as the router is connected to the Phone line everything should work fine. Use the network set up wizard that comes with XP to configure your set up and create a setup disc. Then just use it to configure the laptop. As long as you have set up the router correctly via its software program all should be working within 30 minutes.
              Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Yes Matt you seem to have got it, the ethernet connection is just to set up the router so you could use your laptop initially and once the setup has been completed disconnect it. However the ethernet connection is far faster than wireless so if you play a lot of on line games it may be worth your while buying a network card for your desktop for this purpose and of course if you have a 1Mb and upwards adsl connection. I have seen network cards on sale for as little as £6 so on this basis it may be worth while getting one to allow easy configuration chages from your desktop. Sorry if I have become too technical.
                [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

ok... shall i start again??

i had the idea that all i needed was a wireless card in laptop, wireless in desktop and a ADSL Router...
                  plug router into phone line in place of broadband modem, plug one card in each computer... run the network wizard and bob's your uncle!

but no... the router needs an ethernet connection to desktop computer to work... that computer has no ethernet connection... plus, would i need to have both computers switched on to connect to internet etc??... kind of defeats the object as i could just plug laptop into the wall!!

i'm baffled!... do they do anything that is actually wireless? i'm gonna take all this crap and shove it up pcworld mans ass!!
                  is the router a modem as well if not then you need to plug the modem into the router then the two pcs should conect wirelessly to the router so ne need to share the internet connection from one pc to the other.
                  most wireless routers give you the option of both wired and wireless.
                  if the moden is a usb modem then you need an ethernet modem to connect the router to the broadband. if the router is a modem as well then it should connect straight to the phone line and it will then broadcast wirelessly so all you should do is set up the wireless cards and then you should be able to connect to the router and broadband.
                  so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Matt
                    why not use the USB wireless connections, no need for ethernet cards anywhere,
                    wireless router connevted to phone point and all macnes can be off or on as YOU wish
                    tony
                    www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tonytom
                      Matt
                      why not use the USB wireless connections, no need for ethernet cards anywhere,
                      wireless router connevted to phone point and all macnes can be off or on as YOU wish
                      tony
                      because i haven't got any!
                      ISP is BTopenworld 1Mbps

think i've got it sorted now.

Comment

Working...
                      X