Wireless networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless networks

ok, i'm trying to sort out my wireless network bought 2 cards (one in lapto, one in PC) and a ADSL modem/wireless router... trouble is, the router needs to be plugged into a Ethernet socket on at least 1 computer!!... how's that wireless??

big trouble it that i only have ethernet card installed on laptop and thats the main reason for wireless!!... WTF do i do??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Use string it works for me
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi Bob

Ok i did this on my old mans pc a few weeks ago.

Heres what you have to do.
      You have broadband i take it?
      Install the cards
      Unplug your existing adsl moden and plug in your router in. The router has to be plugged into the pc that is going to be on all the time ( so i would say you home pc)and preferably the fastest one.
      Then go start and then to accessories / then communications and finally network setup wizard.( you have to do this on both pcs)Print out the instructions to help you.
      Go through the instructions and set up one pc as the base pc which you will use to connect to the internet .Then setup the other pc to connect to the internet through another pc.
      Its all really simple and shouldnt take more then about 30 mins.

cheers

Mike
      I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Use string it works for me
        trouble is, i only have one tin can till lunch time tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66
          Hi Bob

Ok i did this on my old mans pc a few weeks ago.

Heres what you have to do.
          You have broadband i take it?
          Install the cards
          Unplug your existing adsl moden and plug in your router in. The router has to be plugged into the pc that is going to be on all the time ( so i would say you home pc)and preferably the fastest one.
          Then go start and then to accessories / then communications and finally network setup wizard.( you have to do this on both pcs)Print out the instructions to help you.
          Go through the instructions and set up one pc as the base pc which you will use to connect to the internet .Then setup the other pc to connect to the internet through another pc.
          Its all really simple and shouldnt take more then about 30 mins.

cheers

Mike
          i get all that, just that i don't have a ethernet card!... thought it worked on radio waves!

Comment

Hi Bob
            p.s. you can call me matt if you like!

Comment

Use the wireless network setup wizard instead then.

Tells you what you need and how to do it.

got to network connections

set up home or small office network

click on the checklist and about halfway down is the wireless setup wizard

cheers

mike

Comment

Iv started calling you bob now!!!!! do you know hard it is to change that now !!!

Comment

Iv started calling you bob now!!!!! do you know hard it is to change that now !!!
                  it's ok... i get called worse by my mum!...

Comment

BOB da SLUG man.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Matt
                      Try this, I think this meets your spec, you can get them cheaper but this gives you the Idea.
                      contact me if I can help
                      Tony
                      www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Wireless Network

I am no pooter wizard - but what about Bluetooth. My son has just got a new all-singing all-dancing mobile phone with Bluetooth capability.
                        I went to the local pooter store and bought a Bluetooth Dongle for £14.95p.
                        Plugged it into a USB port, loaded the software and in under 5mins his phone is swapping data with the pooter. According to what I read you can connect two pooters or any other Bluetooth device ie. Palmtop, Printer etc. and all Bluetooth devices within range are detected automatically.

Silversurfer
                        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by tonytom
                          Matt
                          Try this, I think this meets your spec, you can get them cheaper but this gives you the Idea.
                          contact me if I can help
                          Tony
                          http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=&doy=31m1

this makes it clearer, sorry its Monday
                          www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

ok... shall i start again??

i had the idea that all i needed was a wireless card in laptop, wireless in desktop and a ADSL Router...
                            plug router into phone line in place of broadband modem, plug one card in each computer... run the network wizard and bob's your uncle!

but no... the router needs an ethernet connection to desktop computer to work... that computer has no ethernet connection... plus, would i need to have both computers switched on to connect to internet etc??... kind of defeats the object as i could just plug laptop into the wall!!

i'm baffled!... do they do anything that is actually wireless? i'm gonna take all this crap and shove it up pcworld mans ass!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
                              I am no pooter wizard - but what about Bluetooth. My son has just got a new all-singing all-dancing mobile phone with Bluetooth capability.
                              I went to the local pooter store and bought a Bluetooth Dongle for £14.95p.
                              Plugged it into a USB port, loaded the software and in under 5mins his phone is swapping data with the pooter. According to what I read you can connect two pooters or any other Bluetooth device ie. Palmtop, Printer etc. and all Bluetooth devices within range are detected automatically.

Silversurfer
                              bit slow though!... ok for transfering a 15k photo! or a 1k ringtone!

Comment

Working...
                              X