Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory Warranty

Hi

Just wondering if anyone out there has some firm information on just what is covered by the 3 month statutory warranty.

I'm having problems with bearing or transmission noise from the front end. I bought the car from a local dealer who has now closed his premisis and in 'in the process of relocating'

The rumble was hidden by a extremely loud twin exhaust which I changed within weeks, the fault was reported by email and phone to the dealer but I was told anything other than a breakdown is not covered and they could not work on the vehicle anyway as they had no workshop.

I have now booked into CCB for the work who say they would have handled things very differently if they had sold me the vehicle. My local dealer was not too happy about this and is suddenly able to do the repairs but again not under warranty.

I feel I am better off with CCB as my dealer has made me so nervous that I now want the car fully checked over, I've also ordered a milage check with BIMTA.

On the whole I love the car and it seems to be in great condition apart from the rumble and parhaps a bit of rough idle. I've invested in the Allisport intercooler and the increase in power is astonishing.

I'll write up a Dealer report if the issue gets resolved ..... or not!

Mike

Double check with trading standards but i am pretty sure that a dealer must warranty everythig for a period of three months. I dont know if there are any clauses relating to wear and tear. I think a few people on here have had some serious battles with dealers over it. What they will often do is make you pay for either parts or labour and then inflate the price of whichever bit you are paying so they still get some profit out of you.Hope you get it all sorted ok.
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

trouble you may have scr##ed the pooch fitting the intercooler cos it give the dealer a get out now you have worked on it. not fair, not right, but watch him try it....
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

The dealer has to put any fault right within the first 3 months of purchase with no cost to yourself. ITS THE LAW
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          The dealer has to put any fault right within the first 3 months of purchase with no cost to yourself. ITS THE LAW
          Not entirely right Marky it all depends on whats said and given on purchase of car. Many dealers just specify parts are covered not labour which can be a big get out for them.

I have just been to small claims over a car I bought 18 months ago the dealer just washed his hands of it, the cam belt tensioner went destroying engine after 6 weeks of ownership............he didn't want to know at all, I had to do all the sorting then try and claim back from the courts.

This has taken me the best part of 14 months and am still £600 down. In small claims court I have never heard so much bulls**t as he came out with regarding term of sales etc luckily I had everything in writing and the district judge saw throught the git and awarded to me.

Still not got all the money though only got £700 so far which was the amount he had to give the court when he dragged it on even further.

And R**nies last words to me as we left the court was " Think you've won do you?? Well you dont have all the money yet do you!! " such a nice man.

If you have to go down this route first step is get a written garage report then go back to the dealer with it, see what he says. If he fobs you off tell him via a letter (recorded) that you need to get the work done and if he's not prepaired to stand the costs you will have no option but to seek recompense via the courts.

You can do it all on line, search for "money claims online" cost will be about £120 but that gets added to his fee if you win........................... be prepaired to wait.

Comment

bugga You learn something new everyday
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Your rights

Hope this link is of some help it helped me when I had the head go on my 2.4 if you know your legal rights it’s a big help if the trader tries to feed you a load of crap

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buy/ba/ba-8.jsp
              TAF

All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.

Comment

Way Forward

Thanks all

In fairness I will contact the dealer again once I have the vehicle checked, if its just the bearings I would probobly avoid litigation but will name and shame by writing an honest thread in the dealer section.

Not being vindictive about this, other stuff has been going on that makes this dealer seem really dodgey and has really annoyed me.

At the end of the day I paid a private sale price for this car. It was a great deal but of course by buying from a dealer I was perhaps not as cautious as I should have been if buying from a private seller.

Will keep you all posted

Comment

Update

Things are getting really interesting now.

Got to CCB to find my booking had been scrubbed from the service book, then reinstated later but the end result was that they only had time (45 min) to road test and spin those noisy wheels up on the ramp. I had expected to have the front bearings replaced and assumed we would otherwise have a couple of hours of workshop time to play with.

Now this is the interesting bit, CCB had a phone call from my Dealer (who wouldnt help with the repair) ... in my name.
                  Apparantly his language was a bit fruity and he seems to be annoyed that I had contacted CCB and they had wondered why he wasnt sorting the problem under the statutary warranty.

CCB say they were quite surprised at the dealers attitude and the language got so bad that they eventually hung up and obviously scrubbed my booking. If you are reading this Mr B, I am very p****d off about you using my name in this way and the end result of the bungled booking and my wasted day.

CCB want the truck for two or three days to investigate further and eliminate tyre noise by swapping round with wheels from one of their truck. The bad news is that they feel its not wheel bearings and probobly the front offside drive shaft or front diff.

I took the truck through a local speed chacane and there was no change in the noise as the weight moved from wheel to wheel.

I've had a fiddle and the shaft does feel very loose as it exits the Diff, it slides very freely from side to side hitting the ends with a metallic clang. The nearside has less movement but more importantly no noise.

Cant really book into CCB for a couple of weeks and to be honest they are not too local and I got stuck in traffic for ages last time. May just settle up for that road test and have a look at the drive shaft myself.

The last thing I now want to do is to take the car back to the Dealer, after a month of being told they have no workshop facilities I was suddenly offered an engineer once I had contacted CCB, but buggering up my booking with CCB has left me seeing red and I dont want them anyware near the truck.

One final piece of good news, BIMTA came back with confirmation of my Odometer reading and it matches, although the vehicle seems to have taken 6 months to get from the auction to the dealer.

May of course have been clocked in Japan before auction, everything looks fine although the steering wheel was badly worn on the right hand side, maybe the last owner liked big rings!

Any advice on Drive shaft noise would be very welcome.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X