No announcement yet.

Anyone got an I-Pod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to be said initially Apple were not going to provide the option to replace the battery on ipods, but after a lot of consumer pressure ( part of which is shown in that clip) they recognised they needed to, now if the battery packs up in the first year Apple replace it free. the charge is after the year is up. my take on this is as with all electronic technology the price of ipods is certain to fall so you could find it cheaper to buy a new(higher spec?) one when battery replacement time comes
    Also as is always the way plenty of third party options on the web to DIY once it is out of warranty
    so if you are content with your current ipod it needn't be so costly
    I never considered buying an ipod ( it was a gift from my son) too expensive I thought but now wouldn't be without it I too used to carryloads of cds in the Surf but now 1000 tracks on my ipod mini is plenty and it fits in my pocket so it goes everywhere with me!
    the future of music is here as has been pointed out there is a young generation who will grow up with this kind of technology and won't need to faff about with cds/music shops etc why would they? they can already access millions of constantly updated music tracks online, simply load onto ipods and the like, listen to it via Home hi-fi's / incar systems and of course head/earphones and easily change the selection of tunes when they like
    Me I have hundreds of Cds/ Tapes/ Vinyl (possibly thousands!) cluttering up my home the majority of which it is too much hassle to dig out and listen to
    whereas the stuff I have on hard drive takes next to no effort to browse choose and listen to!

Comment

I think I'll prob go for Creatives Zen player.I'm a big fan of Creatives hardware having used thier soundcards for years and the Zen player (in my opinion) is better value for money than the ipod(and it supports older operating systems!).
      Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
        I think I'll prob go for Creatives Zen player.I'm a big fan of Creatives hardware having used thier soundcards for years and the Zen player (in my opinion) is better value for money than the ipod(and it supports older operating systems!).
        Creative are Microsoft and Bill Gates wants to compete with Apple on price
        so got to be good for all us plebs as it will help drive prices down.... and help keep Mr Gates off skid row!!!!

Comment

Old thread I know, but just wanted to add that the iPod ICE link is worth a look.

I bought one for my Sony head unit, and it basically tricks it into thinking the iPod is a CD changer. This means you can change track etc from the head unit or steering column remote (if you have one). For security I wired it so that the iPod is hidden in the glove box when in use.

As the audio output has a direct connection to the stereo, the sound quality is excellent.

I have an iTrip too, but really wasn't too impressed with the quality.

Here's the company that makes them:

http://www.dension.com/
          [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

And since I started this thread - an update on my I-pod experience... I wouldnt be without it!! I take it on the train to work, use it at work when I need to concentrate on the crowded office, and use it with I-Trip (which has worked well for us) in the car (no cd changer link on my sony cd in car).
            Cant think how I managed without it now!!
            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

For MP3 players the Sony HDD players seem like good value, and with Sony's previous No1 status regarding portable music players I don't think you could go far wrong.

I would prefer a Sony over a Mac given the choice purely on battery life, the new Sony's have a reputed 40 hr run time and using Sony's Atrac software you can get more music/Gb with little difference over MP3 quality.

I'm still in the dark ages regarding personal stereo's as I am still using a Sony Net/MD Player which I think is superb. Get 30+ hours off 1 cheapo AA battery, pick the 80 minute MD Disks up for next to nothing and manage to cram roughly 1 GB of music onto each disk using the Atrac s/ware.

Can't fault Sony goods they are always well designed, well made and generally problem free.

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
                using Sony's Atrac software you can get more music/Gb with little difference over MP3 quality.
                As long as you’re aware the Atrac format has its own DRM built in. Personally I wouldn't touch any format that uses DRM, my music is mine...

I think Sony tried to push their Atrac format by making their portable players Atrac only (how nice of them). They've only recently changed this so they support MP3 as well.

Originally posted by kazam401
                Can't fault Sony goods they are always well designed, well made and generally problem free.
                I agree with you there though, Sony products are usually excellent. I've always said, if Sony made cars, I'd probably buy one. Got a PSP recently too - amazing bit of kit. I use it to browse http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/ when outside working on the Surf.
                [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                X