Opinions On Suspension Components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions On Suspension Components?

Just replaced my sagging rear springs with Milner ones. They've raised the back end and the ride is noticeably better. It's given me a hankerin' for an overhaul of my chassis/suspension system.

I'd love to change the lot - all 4 dampers & the front torsion bars.

I'm thinking about replacing these bushes too: dampers, sway bars & drop links, panhard rod and trailing arms. Maybe even the bushes in the wishbones... Are there other bushes related to the suspension/chassis that would benefit the ride/handling if replaced?

I'm quite happy with the springs, exhaust, brake discs, etc. that I got from Milner, so given that I don't need a big lift or super-stiff springs or anything, I'm thinking of going for Milner dampers (£30 each), new bushes as listed above (not all are available from Milner, and Polybush don't list any for Surfs and they haven't responded to my email).

The only replacement torsion bars I can find from a UK supplier are the Explorer ones - this may not be a bad thing? Anyway, can anyone recommend or advise on the following...

Dampers:
    Milner v Explorer v any other easily available similarly priced brand.

Torsion Bars:
    Explorer v any other easily available similarly priced brand.

Bushes:
    Milner v Polybush v any other easily available similarly priced brand. Where would I go for all the bushes I mentioned above?

I'd also like to replace all the wheel bearings, Dinitrol the underside, fit roof rails & bars with spots, a tow bar (for when my SSIA comes to fruition in 2006 and I get my fishing boat ), service all the window motors, two-battery conversion, paint me calipers & drums, decent ice... along with all the normal servicing stuff .

I plan to keep this Surf for a few years, and want to get it just the way I want it. It'll all take a year or two (cos of money), but hey... I'm sure we all have similar plans for our Surfs...

Thanks for any answers on the bushes/dampers/torsion bars...

Mark
    :

To be honest I think you'll find that the springs and uprated torsion bars come from from the same supplier in Australia whether you buy from Milners/Roughtrax or LA Supertrux (you might notice how the springs are all same light blue colour and the same price where ever they come from!).

Shocks are different- but it's probably best to go for a 'branded' make like Pro Comp. I'm not sure what brand Milners supply for the Hilux- possibly not the Fox Racing ones?

An alternative supplier for the torsion bars might be LA Supertrux or Roughtrax- you'd have to e-mail them as they are generally supplied as part of the 2" lift 'kit'.

Neville

Nevillef

Comment

Old Man Emu for gas shocks (Nitrocharger) and heavy duty springs - great load carrying and stability (also give 50mm lift).

TJM for HD torsion bars and maybe the polybushes.
      @africa4x4cafe
      [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Mark

The majority who have replaced tortion bars for the heavier duty seem to say they are too stiff and give a harsh ride.Most go back to standard.If you intend getting a steel bullbar and winch fitted they will help with the extra weight otherwise stick with the standard.

Neville

Comment

I don't necessarily need HD torsion bars. All I have on the front is a steel A-bar & 2 spots, so I'd just like new standard rate units (naturally I'd love a TJM/ARB/BentUp winch bumper & a good winch, but I actually NEED food, shelter, clothing and fuel etc).

I'm assuming genuine Toyota items would be dearer than aftermarket.

As I understand it, the torsion bars supplied by Roughtrax & LA Supertrux are actually Explorer ProComp items anyway (hence those are the same colour?), so if I settled on those, I'd be buying direct from Explorer.

Thanks folks - keep it comin!

Mark
          :

Comment

Most (maybe all) aftermarket tortion bars are rated around 30% stiffer than factory bars.If you want new factory spec ones then Toyota maybe the only place to get these.

Neville

Comment

Working...
            X