Wish Me Luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish Me Luck

Right been to Rough Trax today and picked up the bits.

Now going to attempt a head gasket change on my 3.0L Surf. This is probably the biggest job I've ever done on a car. Though I did once change the gearbox on my old Disco. Hope this job goes easier!

Will try and record the steps on camera and make notes for a technical posting once it’s done. Will also be changing the thomostat and timing belt at the same time.

Any advice gratefully received.

GOOD LUCK!
    and if in doubt PANIC!!!
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Don't worry, its a peice of cake, hardest part is getting the exhaust pipe that goes to the EGR valve off, and the bolts at the back end of the heat sheild.

Go to Codlords website, he has the workshop manual all on line for you. page EM41
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Brought a workshop manual from Rough Trax today with the est of the bits.Felt like a good idea!

Also go the manuals downloaded off the web.

Comment

Right the head is finally off (don't ask how it went !)

I can't see any obvious problems, which is a bad thing, all I can do is put it all back together and croos my fingers.

However there is one small point, no where in the manual does it say to use a gasket sealent on the cylinder head. However there was a trace of something on the on gasket and head. Any ideas any one?

Koy: once I've finished this I will send you a set of photos and write up for the tech section any ideas onn the format?

Comment

I found no visible problems with the H/G on Lindas 3.0, either on the gasket or the head/block, but a new gasket sorted it out. you may have a split on one the inner layers of the head gasket, so its hidden.

Check the block deck and head face is level with a metal ruler on edge and try to slide feeler guages under it.

I put no sealant put on our gasket, it had a thin film of something on it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Also mine didnt have stretch bolts so we could reuse the old ones rather than getting new.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X