partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partitioning

What are the advantages/disadvantages of partitioning a hard drive?
    Where can I buy Windows ME?(MUST BE NEW)All I can find on the net is !!!!!!(overpriced) Windows XP!!!
    Last edited by RobD; 6 January 2005, 20:49.
    Powered by ????

PARTITIONING divides your hard disk into sections for example
    c: O/S Windows d: games e: private files f: pictures g:= cdrom

I personally dont do it as there is not much point as i create folders for all these. If your partitions are'nt big enough they will fill up quickly.
    If your HARD DISK goes you lose it all anyway.
    REMEMBER TO BACK UP FREQUENTLY
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Cheers Marky
      just bought a mates pc,hard drive went belly up today(some mate!)bought a hd from simply couple of hours ago,can you install windows 98 on more than 1 pc from the same disc,or does it have the same kind of licence agreement as xp(one copy one pc)?
      Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
        What are the advantages/disadvantages of partitioning a hard drive?
        Where can I buy Windows ME?(MUST BE NEW)All I can find on the net is !!!!!!(overpriced) Windows XP!!!
        one plus side to partitioning is that if u need to you can format that particular drive space alone instead of hole drive saves rooting through files .
        e.g i run 3 hard drives over 300 gig chopped into 6 partitions windows runs in a protected partition so i can zap the rest of drives at will lol suppose just depends how big your partitions are going to be if its worth it
        I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
        (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
          Cheers Marky
          just bought a mates pc,hard drive went belly up today(some mate!)bought a hd from simply couple of hours ago,can you install windows 98 on more than 1 pc from the same disc,or does it have the same kind of licence agreement as xp(one copy one pc)?
          Yes with windows 98 you can install on multiple pc's from the same disk, but legally you should have 1 licenced copy per pc.

Jon
          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Cheers lads.
            Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
              one plus side to partitioning is that if u need to you can format that particular drive space alone instead of hole drive saves rooting through files .
              e.g i run 3 hard drives over 300 gig chopped into 6 partitions windows runs in a protected partition so i can zap the rest of drives at will lol suppose just depends how big your partitions are going to be if its worth it
              As i was about to say . Also if you get a virus, and its a nasty one, you have time to get the data from other partitions to a safe place ie. a nother drive.
              !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

The only reason I can think of (these days) for partitioning a hard drive is if you want to run two operating systems off one drive (e.g. Windows & Linux).

To be honest hard drives are so cheap now that it's more usual in servers to have multiple, mirrored drives to cover the event of drive failure. With 200Gb+ drives now at sub £100 prices it's difficult to see why you would need to partition a drive over installing an additional drive? Also I'm not sure why you would want to use Windows ME instead of XP? XP, for all it's faults, is still way better than ME for most users.

Nevillef

Comment

To add to Neville's point, go for XP, it's worth the extra money over ME, more secure, robust, and faster. Windows 98 and ME are completely pants IMHO only beaten in that respect by Windows 95.

Comment

The biggest pain I've found with XP is it's tendancy to 'self update' itself. Whilst this might be fine for small bug clearing updates, several times it has screwed up my existing Firewall and AntiVirus software. Once you're happy with the system you can turn off the self updates if you like.

Anyone else have such problems?

Nevillef

Comment

I never turned on the self update, I allow it to download then I review and install if I want. Mind you I know a lot of people have had problems with SP2 but no problems here once I switched off the pop up blocker as I use my own.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                        I never turned on the self update, I allow it to download then I review and install if I want. Mind you I know a lot of people have had problems with SP2 but no problems here once I switched off the pop up blocker as I use my own.

Cheers
                        Exactly the same experience as Andy - dont allow anything to self update and dont use the SP2 pop up blocker. Also dont use the windows firewall that came with SP2 as I have my own loaded.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                          Exactly the same experience as Andy - dont allow anything to self update and dont use the SP2 pop up blocker. Also dont use the windows firewall that came with SP2 as I have my own loaded.

I'm having to use the Windows firewall, as Zone Alarm has a conflict with the new AMD64 bit system that I'm using now, it's not as good as Zone Alarm but is better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                          X