help needed buying a surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed buying a surf

i will be buying a surf hopefully in the next 4 weeks and need some simple advice (nice and simple) about buying one. searched through the threads and more confused than when i started . any plain english advice would be helpful thanks

put simply, get the best condition 3.0td you can...
    (if your finances can't stretch to this, then a 2.4td with receipt for head change)...
    i would personally go for the top of the range SSR-G, (it has recaros and a nice contrasting black trim),...
    try and get a decent warranty with it...
    check all fluid levels are correct,..
    check engine runs smoothly with no excess smoke,..
    check for excessive play in the steering (do it while stationary, and rock the steering wheel, there will be some play due to the 'steering box' design, but no 'free' play, however this is another simple fix, see forum for idler arm maintenance)...
    check gear changes are smooth,..
    check there are no unusual clunks or knocks from the drivetrain when braking/reversing/cornering (a metalic grinding sound when on full lock is simply the bumpstop caps worn through or missing, a blob of grease cures this)...
    check handbrake and brake operation (should pull up in a straight line with no noises,)...
    make sure 4wd is operating, (it is hard to check this, best way is to getit offroad, and accelerate so the rears spin, do it again with 4wd selected, you will notice a difference, don't use 4wd on tarmac on 1st or 2nd gen's) ...
    make sure ALL electrics work inc windows, central locking etc,..
    check air con works...
    see if the truck has been undersealed, if not, check for excess corrosion underneath...
    Above all If you have any doubts, then walk away, there are lots of surfs for sale. good luck.
    Last edited by stara; 31 December 2004, 16:34.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

thanks

thanks for the advice simon. am going on tuesday to have a look at 2, the wife has aggreed to come with me so half the battle won if i find one i like i will let you all know

Comment

Make sure its Green over Silver too.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
          Make sure its Green over Silver too.
          Nah MUD over Green over Silver

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

nah

i prefer blue myself (comment from wife "green clashes with her leopard print clothes" )

Comment

Originally posted by rods
              i prefer blue myself (comment from wife "green clashes with her leopard print clothes" )
              GOOD MAN.
              Attached Files
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

WGC just up the road from me, where are you going to look at them??? I am in Welwyn on Tuesday so if its near I could take a look.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

thanks

hi nigel . i will be going to redhouse in ware . 10 mins down the road on the a414 through hertford . i have seen 2 down there for £5995 both in blue on friday ,but he was closed. i have read through the dealer experience and neal said stay away, but i met the guy roughly 10 week ago before doing my back in to buy one and he seemed very helpful and knows what he is talking about, where as molewood garage owner was the total opposite. if you want to meet up before. reply back and we will arrange a time or whatever. thanks
                  Last edited by rods; 1 January 2005, 22:35.

Comment

Originally posted by rods
                    hi nigel . i will be going to redhouse in ware . 10 mins down the road on the a414 through hertford . i have seen 2 down there for £5995 both in blue on friday ,but he was closed. i have read through the dealer experience and neal said stay away, but i met the guy roughly 10 week ago before doing my back in to buy one and he seemed very helpful and knows what he is talking about, where as molewood garage owner was the total opposite. if you want to meet up before. reply back and we will arrange a time or whatever. thanks

You should have a mail with details on it
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Working...
                    X