Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Gypsies...

OK, we're off again...

...just had some good news, wifey got the job in Kenya and so we should be moving up at the end of Jan - just got time to fix all the things that are falling off our house back in Zim then we're moving again. Now have to seriously plan to get the truck to Kenya as we cannot miss out on trying to get my 4Runner in the background of one of those safari progs you get all the time in the UK. Think I'll try and hound the "Big Cat Diary" crew as they're too busy looking cool to notice me and my truck sneeking up in the background!

Any Kenyan Surfers on the board?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Hi,
    My Folks live in Kenya and I grew up there its a great place to be, I wish i could get a job out there!
    My folks have a surf out there also.
    Good luck

Comment

When were you there last? What are the good areas and which are the bad? Any good primary schools? And do Brit citizens need work permits etc? Sorry for all the questions but we have only just had the good news and want to get up to speed asap something locals (or ex-locals) are expert on.
      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher
        When were you there last? What are the good areas and which are the bad? Any good primary schools? And do Brit citizens need work permits etc? Sorry for all the questions but we have only just had the good news and want to get up to speed asap something locals (or ex-locals) are expert on.

When were you there last? Feb 2004 (and am going back in feb 05 to get married)
        What are the good areas and which are the bad? The only bad areas, i.e. where its not safe to go are round the back of nairobi, out side of nairobi things are much simpler and you can live just about anywhere you like.
        And do Brit citizens need work permits etc? Yes
        Depends where you are and if you want day schools/ boarding, if you live up country i.e. outside of nairobi then pembroke is the best with St andrews coming second. I could probably get you some email addresses for the schools if you like? Also if you live in nairobi then there are a few other schools you might be interested in but personally pembroke is best (I actually went to St Andrews but that was 14yrs ago)

The best thing to do is tell me where you are going to be in kenya and i can try to help after that.

Cheers

Comment

My wife has an offer (to work in Narobbery) that is open to discussion. We want to take it up but need more information on the cost of ;iving etc. She has been offered a salary of about GBP 20K plus accomodation costs. When we left the UK she was on about 25K, but that was a UK salary and we both had jobs. What we do not know about is the cost of living in Nairobi or the cost benefit of having our accomodation paid for - how much is this worth per annum? Can we survive on her salary (solely) until I find a job (say 6 months)?

Also, I'll need work and a work permit, being in Web Dev is there any avenues I should pursue??

We also do not know whereabouts her company is based yet but what sort of areas/prices should we be looking at?
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Hmm tricky,
            If your Based in Nairobi (the capital) then accomodation is not cheap (however being a country bumpkin I cant give you an exact cost, however at a guess I would say it would be atleast 1000 pounds per month plus you need a 24hr guard (100quid a month) maybe house servant, garden boy being from Zim I am sure you know what i mean, min salary about 50quid a month). So based on that I would say atleast 1200 quid a month probably more like 1500 a month.
            Food is not too bad in price and you can get most things fairly easily, there are lost of super markets in nairobi (nakumat, uchumi).
            Beer is less than a quid a pint.
            I have no idea about web design in kenya, I would guess its on the up but as the phone lines never work then email and internet are not up too much (again that might just be as my folks live in the middle of nowhere).
            I know that a work permit can be fairly hard to get and might cost a fair bit (kenya is still a wee bit corrupt).
            Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher

Also, I'll need work and a work permit, being in Web Dev is there any avenues I should pursue??
              How about trying the UN, they have a big presence in Nairobi or certainly used to, probably need some IT techies. Other than that go freelance, I'm sure that you could drum up some business locally.

Comment

Working...
              X