Lpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lpg

Has anyone converted a Surf to LPG from Diesel? If so, would you recommend converting? I've just bought a 3 Litre diesel, know nothing about mechanics, never owned a 4 X 4 before, so need to learn quickly. Also, never used a Forum before, so bear with me!

Pete

Originally posted by Bracken
    Has anyone converted a Surf to LPG from Diesel? If so, would you recommend converting? I've just bought a 3 Litre diesel, know nothing about mechanics, never owned a 4 X 4 before, so need to learn quickly. Also, never used a Forum before, so bear with me!

Pete
    Not sure if any one has done this or not try doing a search. Oh and welcome to the mad house, only some on here bite so don't be afraid to ask. The search button is a very powerful thing it will normally find most things you want to know about your surf
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
      Not sure if any one has done this or not try doing a search. Oh and welcome to the mad house, only some on here bite so don't be afraid to ask. The search button is a very powerful thing it will normally find most things you want to know about your surf
      tonyn old truck ran on gas i thinks
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
        tonyn old truck ran on gas i thinks
        It did but that was a petrol v8

Have a look here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=lpg
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

The majority of lpg conversions are performed on petrol engines where the lpg substitutes completely for the original fuel. On a diesel the lpg is injected into the engine as well as the diesel and is used as a power booster (a bit like nitrous). I've seen it used by off-roaders for this purpose but I think it's not a viable proposition for a road car.
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
            The majority of lpg conversions are performed on petrol engines where the lpg substitutes completely for the original fuel. On a diesel the lpg is injected into the engine as well as the diesel and is used as a power booster (a bit like nitrous). I've seen it used by off-roaders for this purpose but I think it's not a viable proposition for a road car.
            That's slightly different from my understanding of it. The LPG is injected with the air into the diesel. The resulting diesel/LPG/air mix gives a much more efficient burn of the diesel, almost 100% (as opposed to the typical 80%).

Therefor, you should see your MPG increase by about 20% (now you're not wasting 20% of your fuel), which would probably be around an extra 50 miles per tank in a 2.4 surf, regardless of on or off-road.
            I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

I think you're probably looking at a set of "best condition" figures. The info I've seen says that you do get a power increase as you say, but if you work out the economics of it you never get payback. And the original question was about converting from diesel to lpg - this is not possible.
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by jotto
                Thanks Jon, especially for the welcome.

Comment

You get better MPG, it cleans up your emission by about 50%, plus it does make the motor run like its on NoS. So everybody is right. The down side is you loose most of the engine braking, so it sucks offroad, and uses lots more brake pads.

Plus cos you only replacing a little of the diesel charge with LPG, it takes years to recoup the cost of the conversion compared to doing a petrol motor. So its mostly lorry/fleet operators who do thousands of mile a year who run it.

And you have to find a place to put the LPG tank.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X