Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining Noise

Hi All

I'm experiencing a whining noise lately that sounds like it's coming form one of the wheel areas. What I would like to know is, does a dodgy wheel bearing tend to make this sort of noise?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Griff
    [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Originally posted by The Griff
    Hi All

I'm experiencing a whining noise lately that sounds like it's coming form one of the wheel areas. What I would like to know is, does a dodgy wheel bearing tend to make this sort of noise?

Griff
    could be bearing, CV/drive shaft. Engage 4wd for a bit and see if noise goes away, jack up the wheels and try spining by hand and check for play etc.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

if its more apparent when cornering then most prob a bearing as there is more stress applied to that side I.E right hand corner left side makes noise. its what i was told anyway..
      if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Sorry, probably doesn't help you but I had a whining noise in my old series 3 Land Rover, as soon as my girlfriend left, so did the noise!

It could your Wheel bearings, as mentioned below, jack up your wheel & shake from side to side....
        Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

did jacking up and shaking your girlfriend side to side not help then?

Comment

Hi All

Griff
            When my bearing went last week I had a whining noise intermittently for about 20 mins before it went (on the motorway so say 30 milesish) this noise went away if I altered speed, or wiggled the steering wheel. I then had a loud rubbly vibrating noise when the bearing went.

I had no strange noises at all prior to this whining 20mins before the bearing went.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

errr sounds like im lucky then - had noises on the way home from Newport intermittently for about 20mins then the odd one or two then it was fine ALL THE WAY TO LONDON (towing too )!!!
              Had i best not drive it then
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

It was a wheel bearing. Everything now OK
                [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Comment

just need some advice - will I be ok driving a little round town with the bearing as described above? or should I just avoid motorway speeds?...
                  need to go out soon so someone please reply
                  Tim

Comment

Just take it easy no hard cornering & low speed. Replace it as soon as you can.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

thanks mate, was relying on you when i saw you online i hoped you would reply!
                      How long to replace yourself do you rekkon? Just wondering whether to do it or get em done by my mechanic, also got 2 ball joint need doing and suspension bushes too... maybe he should do it - still how long for a self fit presuming I replace inner and outer bearings on both sides?
                      Cheers again Marky!
                      Tim

Comment

Hi All

Griff
                        its my ex wife wondered where she went
                        Enjoying Life after Cancer
                        Pops

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                          thanks mate, was relying on you when i saw you online i hoped you would reply!
                          How long to replace yourself do you rekkon? Just wondering whether to do it or get em done by my mechanic, also got 2 ball joint need doing and suspension bushes too... maybe he should do it - still how long for a self fit presuming I replace inner and outer bearings on both sides?
                          Cheers again Marky!
                          Give yourself 90 minutes to replace both BEARINGS as you will be taking your time. Replace both!
                          Use this to assist you http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            Give yourself 90 minutes to replace both BEARINGS as you will be taking your time. Replace both!
                            Use this to assist you http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm
                            blimey marky cant he have a tea break for 15mins after doing first one
                            Enjoying Life after Cancer
                            Pops

Comment

You remove hub which contains both BEARINGS then have a BREW.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X