PDA advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDA advice needed

Hi all, having just accquired an Ipaq 5500 with no manual and being very new to this whole PDA sat nav thing I need some help. I have the thing talking to my main computer with ActivSync and it also interacts with my wireless network. What I can not seem to figure out is how I install programs on it. Obviously I want to use it for SAT Nav in the Surf and so I bought a copy of TOM TOM 3 off Ebay and a 1Gb SD card. The software is a back up copy I think, did not realise until it arrived, (thought it was cheap) I am also purchasing a GPS jacket which has not arrived yet. So I need something like an idiots guide to installing and configuring programs on a PDA please.
    Malcolm
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

PDA advice

Malcolm,

Haven't had a play with mine for some time (and I don't have SatNav software) but as I recall you should run the setup from the CD (on your PC), it should look for your ipaq and install the app on it (the set-up is designed for this). Hope that helps
    Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

As Orions_Pop says, you just run the applications setup on your PC. It will then talk to ActiveSync to install it onto your PDA.

However, if the software is already pre-loaded on the card, then you may just need to find the .exe file and run it.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Have your PDA attached through the ActiveSync running on your PC [must make sure that ActiveSync was loaded first or there can be issues]
        1. Place the TomTom software in the CDROM drive
        2. select to install to the Pocket PC
        3. The software should install itself through the ActiveSync software
        4. It may reboot your PDA but it should inform you to watch you PDA screen for other information
        When you have the chance to install the maps
        1. once again choose Pocket PC
        2. choose the SD Card as the location. [if you have a small SDCard then you can select individual sized Map Regions]
        3. Will need to register
        Run TomTom after installation to SD Card and TomTom should find maps...and there you go.

After this visit places like www.tomtom.com and go to the downloads section to upgrade to version 3.07. [Must remove SDCard before upgrading as stated on website]

visit
        www.globalpositioningsystems.c o.uk for links to other POI sites [eg free Speed Camera Points of Interest]
        http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/
        http://www.poihandler.com/
        Last edited by Gizmo; 8 December 2004, 21:29.
        Gaz

Comment

Thanks Guys that's very helpful. Just one question, I have not yet got the SD card, it should arrive some time this week. Should I wait an install the program and the maps when I get it or is it better ti install the program to the device now. Also as I said the software is a back up copy and came with some very complicated instructions for activating. Should I cut my losses and buy a pukka version.
          Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
            Thanks Guys that's very helpful. Just one question, I have not yet got the SD card, it should arrive some time this week. Should I wait an install the program and the maps when I get it or is it better ti install the program to the device now. Also as I said the software is a back up copy and came with some very complicated instructions for activating. Should I cut my losses and buy a pukka version.
            Wait till the SD card arrives, the maps are far to big for the PDA memory.

Give it a go at installing however these backup copies are not always known to work well. See how it goes, it may be OK.

Cheers

Comment

Most manufactureers have the manuals on thier web sites - downloadable in .pdf format.

Ali

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Got the SD card and had a go at the installation. Everything went ok until I came to the bit that generates the activation code. I put a space in and the resultant code would not work. Second time it worked ok, so then went on to carry out the upgrades. All appears to work fine however I can not use it yet as I am still waiting for the GPS jacket to arrive. I do have a GPS receiver for my laptop but it will not work with the PDA. Now all I got to figure out is how to mount it in the Surf. Thanks again for the advice.

Malcolm

Comment

Working...
                X