Wheel carrier fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel carrier fitted

Fitted the wheel carrier today. Made a bodge of the attachment plate fitting though as I'm waiting for some new plastic to seal the rear window mechanism. Put in some arb bits of reinforcing but will get a proper plate made up next week before I set off for Zimbabwe. Pop riveted the number plate on and will sort out the plate-light next week too but I'm happy to have made a decent start.
    Attached Files
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Have passed a guy with an oxy set-up parked off beside the road fixing exhausts a number of times. So I pulled in today, explained that I needed some bits of steel to reinforce my wheel carrier and then we got on with it.

He took a piece of exhaust pipe, split it open and flattend it, and then cut two strips 5 x 22cm long. We then bent the strips to follow the inside of curve of the carrier hinge and after matching the strips up to the holes I had drilled in the body, he burnt the holes out and after a bit of re-jigging we eventually installed these strips inside the rear corner of the body and then offered the wheel carrier up to them and started bolting everything in place. Took about two hours all in all but the job is now complete and I am satisfied that the wheel carrier will be solid for our safaris to the north.

This is especially important as we have decided to leave SA and are travelling up to Zim for Xmas and the New Year. If everything pans out we hope then to move on to Kenya and of course I want to drive up but SWAMBO ain't so keen! Maybe if I promise to go via Mombasa and the Kenyan beach resorts she might come round!
    @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Wow, sounds terrific.... and a loooooooooong way. Whats approx mileage ??

Have fun and Happy Sunny Christmas....

Nice to see the bumper sticker is still on......
      Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Thanks...distance about 4000kms if you stick to the main roads, but if you're in Africa and you've got a Surf/4Runner why the hell would you do that?

Anyone who is wondering: I feel the swing out wheel carrier is one of the best and one of the simplest mods I've done. You don't have to crawl in the dirt winding the spare down and you don't have to break your back throwing it on the roof rack - one "click" and you're away.

Once again Lucky, many thanks.
        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher
          Thanks...distance about 4000kms if you stick to the main roads, but if you're in Africa and you've got a Surf/4Runner why the hell would you do that?

Anyone who is wondering: I feel the swing out wheel carrier is one of the best and one of the simplest mods I've done. You don't have to crawl in the dirt winding the spare down and you don't have to break your back throwing it on the roof rack - one "click" and you're away.

Once again Lucky, many thanks.
          You are most welcome M8. Glad you got it done and it works well for you.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X