No announcement yet.

puzzled about heater control settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puzzled about heater control settings?

looking at the controls for the air blowers this morning, i am a bit puzzled....the speed control for the fan goes from Off up to High/Fast (whatever you call it) but i was intrigued by a setting called Auto. What on earth is an auto fan speed setting?

I don't think its anything to do with aircon, because thats a separate button...but you never know...

please help!!!
    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

I have a '92 and do not have this setup but this is my thoughts.Yours being a '96 probably has climate control air con.With the air con on the switch should probably be on auto position and this will automatically adjust the fan speed as needed.It may be connected to some sort of thermostat when in auto position.I assume both the air con button and fan in auto position would be needed to work properly.The other speeds may also be used if needed.Experiment with it a little and see what happens.Does that make sense?

Neville
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 1 December 2004, 11:11.

Comment

Dunno about a Surf (mine doen't have such a setting), but in past cars it's been to do with the climate control system. Basically, set a desired temperature, and the fan will then blow as much air in as needed to get to the desired temperature as quick as possible. Once reached, the fan will slow down and just keep the warm air topped up.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

oh! you're probably right...

my last car (Renault) had A/C, but it was just a matter of turning the dial for temperature and pressing the aircon button. I thought that was how they all worked.

I shall test it out properly later on...

thanks
        adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Adam.

On the 3rd gen you have climate control rather than just AC, the Auto button as has been said, adjusts the fan speed as needed to work to the set temperature. I presume that your heater control actually has temperature numbers on it as well rather than just a sliding cold to hot setting.

Cheers

Comment

you are correct Andy...thats exactly what i have.

I never realised there was a difference between aircon and climate control...always just thought it was some corporate marketing bull to make one system sound better....looks like i was wrong, and it really is better!!

thanks for the explanations guys.
            adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

its excellent mate! my dads LC has it too and works a treat
              on my 2nd gen i just stick everything on the middle setting with AC on and I seem to stay warm enough.
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

My blowers only work on the top two settings, I have a few ideas what it could be but dont know where to start. anyone had similar probs?
                Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by J5C
                  My blowers only work on the top two settings, I have a few ideas what it could be but dont know where to start. anyone had similar probs?

that sounds like your heater blower resistor, not sure on these but most vehicles it is found by the heater blower motor, may be a flat resistor type unit bout 1inch square or have four coils of wire with at least four connections and what looks possibly like plaster or something through it all.
                  thats where i'd try first

Comment

Working...
                  X