No announcement yet.

devils pit or green lane for a novice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devils pit or green lane for a novice?

having got my insurance sorted for my new Surf (thanks to A-plan for the best quote by far and then to Lifesure for beating it to their own surprise!) I've managed to get some mud on my virgin tires today and am wondering how to get off the road a bit more around Ipswich in Suffolk. I need to get some OS maps to find some green lanes but also thinking a purpose built course sounds good and devils pit is on this weekend. That was until i saw some photo's on here of a half submerged Surf at devils pit... Now I'm having second thoughts. Would be good for learning from others but i don't want my beautiful surf's seats smelling of pond weed plus i can imagine my girlfriend might lose her current enthusiasm for the change to 4x4 if i turn it into the swamp thing within a week. Should i be worried? (lie if you have to )

I also found a Suffolk Landy site (a bit zieg heil to solihul it was. I see a pattern emerging already... ) who mention a center at Newbourne which must be the Newbourne out east of Ipswich but i can't find anything else about it. They have some pictures of it and it's maybe less of a mad challenge to start with. Does anyone know about this place and if our despicable jap things are allowed on it??

I'll be getting some OS maps tomorrow to find some lanes. After using them for green laning would anyone say there's much reason to get the 1:25,000 over the 1:50,000 maps. The OS website doesn't make it too clear for sales reasons perhaps but it seems to say that they both contain the same info on rights of way, does it depend more on how focally challenged i am? Or are they worth the extra outlay for other reasons?

And jesus another question! Can anyone recommend a good byway to get on not far outside of Ipswich this damp time of year??

Many thanks in advance
    Neil
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Originally posted by NeilT
    having got my insurance sorted for my new Surf (thanks to A-plan for the best quote by far and then to Lifesure for beating it to their own surprise!) I've managed to get some mud on my virgin tires today and am wondering how to get off the road a bit more around Ipswich in Suffolk. I need to get some OS maps to find some green lanes but also thinking a purpose built course sounds good and devils pit is on this weekend.
    An off road course is probably a better idea for a first timer. Safety in numbers and all that. You can always blag a ride and get someone to show you the basic techniques before you try yourself.
    That was until i saw some photo's on here of a half submerged Surf at devils pit... Now I'm having second thoughts.
    Don't worry. The courses are graded at the Pit. Green for novices. Red for a bit more of a challenge, black for trucks with full roll cage, full harnesses and crash helmets must be worn.
    Would be good for learning from others but i don't want my beautiful surf's seats smelling of pond weed plus i can imagine my girlfriend might lose her current enthusiasm for the change to 4x4 if i turn it into the swamp thing within a week.
    No chance of pond weed. The water is FAR TOO MUDDY. LOL.
    Should i be worried? (lie if you have to )
    Not at all
    I also found a Suffolk Landy site (a bit zieg heil to solihul it was. I see a pattern emerging already... ) who mention a center at Newbourne which must be the Newbourne out east of Ipswich but i can't find anything else about it. They have some pictures of it and it's maybe less of a mad challenge to start with. Does anyone know about this place and if our despicable jap things are allowed on it??
    ????? Sumo might know.
    I'll be getting some OS maps tomorrow to find some lanes. After using them for green laning would anyone say there's much reason to get the 1:25,000 over the 1:50,000 maps. The OS website doesn't make it too clear for sales reasons perhaps but it seems to say that they both contain the same info on rights of way, does it depend more on how focally challenged i am? Or are they worth the extra outlay for other reasons?

And jesus another question! Can anyone recommend a good byway to get on not far outside of Ipswich this damp time of year??
    I wouldn't venture out onto the green lanes alone. See if you can get at least one more member to join you. Sumo?
    Many thanks in advance
    Neil
    Hope all the answers are useful. I am most likely to be at Devils Pit on Sunday, with my other (ahem) 4x4, so I may see you then. It's a Suzuki SJ410 chassis cab. (I'll be sin binned now for using the S word!)
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Th OS Explorer maps are the ones for laning, but it's wise to check with local council too that byways are not closed in the winter etc... also look for closure signs.

In my experience laning is gentler and there is less risk of damage that somewhere like the pit, but dont go alone just in case. Some lanes are really just unsurfaced roads whilst others are more challenging. That said if you cant find company for laning and come along to a Pit meet, you will get lots of help, and as long as you stay to the green routes shouldnt run too much risk of damage.

Laning and full on offroad sites are generally quite different beasts. Part of the fun of laning is being out in the countryside where there are no other cars, enjoying the scenary, wildlife etc whilst using the trucks off road ability. Off road sites tend to be more intense with lots of different driving challenges within a small area, they are rarely picturesque, but can be very instructive and ofcourse there is the social side too.

If there is a good lamerover site close to you then go along, you may get a few jokes about your truck, but some of them are normal people and the main thing is they love offraoding like we do!

Sumo isnt miles from you - he's at Felixstowe. You might find it worthwhile having a chat to him about local places to go.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I live in Newmarket, nr Cambridge, and they hava a site called Wild Tracks. I haven't been yet, but I heard that Santa will be bringing me a couple of day passes. They cost 20.00 for more than 3 vehicles. Let me know if you want to join us, as I know 4 other mates who are going to come along...

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll try and get it together for devils pit then this weekend. All blue N reg standard looking Surf with the eager maniac in the drivers seat. I expect there'll be a pocket of Surfs which I'll head for. Anything recommended to bring with me. St Bernard dog or flotation suit?

Yes, Sumo.... would that be the same Sumo who seems to always be where the maddest !!!! is at (I've noticed you on some old posts and it doesn't really make me think a novice would be wise to follow you everywhere you go ) it would be good to talk i reckon, there's some great country around Ipswich and the coast so yeah what do you recommend??

I'm trying to move out near Cambridge so Newmarket area will be good for me in the new year but seeing all the photo's of these places has already got me thinking along the lines of getting a trailable mud buggy as it looks to be where the maximum madness is at and I'll have my Surf for laning and towing still (god the excuses for spending money are infinite aren't they) I will need to keep the Surf respectably intact for work use (aside from protecting my investment) so it could be the best compromise. I expect it'll get my mechanical knowledge up as well which i need to do. Do old SJ's fit down chimneys i wonder...

Here's the page with the Newbourne site. It looks good to me but as i say can't find much else about it. I'll drive round there and try to find it as I'm only a few miles away. I'll Let you know.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cattermole/sitetour.htm

Cheers
          Neil

Comment

You may be the only Surf there on Sunday ! I believe there are a couple of meets at others sites the Forum are attending this weekend . Check in Off road/greenlaning sections .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              You may be the only Surf there on Sunday ! I believe there are a couple of meets at others sites the Forum are attending this weekend . Check in Off road/greenlaning sections .
              yes mate come with us on Saturday to Salisbury Plains... will be my first time in the Surf too!
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by usafric
                I live in Newmarket, nr Cambridge, and they hava a site called Wild Tracks. I haven't been yet, but I heard that Santa will be bringing me a couple of day passes. They cost 20.00 for more than 3 vehicles. Let me know if you want to join us, as I know 4 other mates who are going to come along...
                When you going mate? Im quite often there with the SJ. Good site although they keep nicking bits to make the karting track in the middle
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cheers again guys, so i might wait for another weekend. Salisbury's too far, though thanks for the offer. Where's the rain check smilie?

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                    Th OS Explorer maps are the ones for laning, but it's wise to check with local council too that byways are not closed in the winter etc... also look for closure signs.
                    On the subject of maps, I use the Landranger 1:50000 as they cover a larger area and normally show enough info to see your route. I do have 1:25000 for some areas, such as some of Salisbury Plain as its harder to differentiate between lanes and MOD roads. The only downfall of 1:25000 Explorers is you need SO many.

Alternatively, buy a GPS!!!

As linda says, make sure that where you intend to go is LEGAL!
                    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Cheers Danno. When you say GPS do you mean the in car mapping type?? I was looking at the Garmin Quest but didn't think it would give anything like the detail i'd need. Please enlighten! I got some 1:25,000 maps today but very disapointed at the lack of byways. Guess thats old news to most here. Having read more about RUPP's i'm seriously worried, most lanes i found were not BOAT's. WTF, this country is screwed down too tight. I know all about being kicked off farmers land, just for sitting in a car and looking at it, er, the land they seem to be mostly payed, by our tax, to leave fallow. Mass protest anyone?

Comment

Cheers Danno. When you say GPS do you mean the in car mapping type?? I was looking at the Garmin Quest but didn't think it would give anything like the detail i'd need. Please enlighten! I got some 1:25,000 maps today but very disapointed at the lack of byways. Guess thats old news to most here. Having read more about RUPP's i'm seriously worried, most lanes i found were not BOAT's. WTF, this country is screwed down too tight. I know all about being kicked off farmers land, just for sitting in a car and looking at it, er, the land they seem to be mostly payed, by our tax, to leave fallow. Mass protest anyone?

Hehe - you have to move to Hampshire - we have tons and most are driveable all year. Never realised how lucky I was til other people started moaning!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

RUPPS are still legal to drive at the moment, time will tell if the ramblers get their way! The only downfall is, some are very little used and in my experience, can be very muddy/rutted or overgrown!

What a few of us use is a PDA (Ipaq or similar), either with integral GPS aerial or external, connected to the PDA. This runs some software called Memory-Map (www.memory-map.co.uk). It shows OS maps on screen with your relative position. The problem with navigtion software such as Tom Tom is that while ok on roads, its pretty useless in a field!

Have a look here

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/

They can sell you PDA and software bundles. It's not the cheapest option, but if you are used to OS Map reading then invaluable.
                          Last edited by Danno; 2 December 2004, 12:53.
                          I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Interesting but can't decide if it's better wrestling with unfoldable maps or strangling myself with more cables...

I surfed my first BOAT today!! urm, on my own and without the map i found it on... Always first to admit to being disorganised but actually i knew the track vaguely from childhood around here, just didn't know it was a BOAT. Rushmere St Andrew to Playford NE edge of Ipswich, only about 1.5km long.

Half way down i reversed onto a piece of clearly fallow land where tire marks led off the track, to sit for a while and soak up the green, as you do. A few minutes latter a man dressed in green with a weather beaten face, a stick and a dog comes along and then approaches the Surf. 'Here we go i thought.' and wound down the window. 'Can i help you?' he asked me. Good start i thought. But it didn't go as it usually does. Once it was clear that i knew what fallow meant, knew what a BOAT was, knew the soil was sandy there abouts (so not easily damaged even if wet) and clearly wanted to be responsible in what i was doing he chilled right out and started telling me that he used to have a Surf and what great trucks they are , then we talked for a while about laning and different 4x4 he's had etc etc Top farmer He left me there and strolled off after his dog who'd be rolling in fox sh*t if he didn't keep up with it, he said... Country life still is queer to me i admit. The FIRST time in my life though that a farmer having found me on the edge of his land hasn't waited until I'm well off it before he went. Coincidence or Surf magic??? Wonder though after reading of possible vehicle confiscation for driving wrong RUPP's what at worst he could have done?

The BOAT went over a railway bridge and suddenly got overgrown and devoid of tire tracks. I got out to see what it was like up ahead and found someone had bent a branch of a bush over another to encourage it to grow out over the track. Well, fortunately i had some spare fuel in a can so i could burn down the bush with little delay... But it wasn't really necessary, i bent it back a bit instead. The track obviously hasn't been driven in a while but i got through the narrow part with a bit of scrapping down the side. T-cut's good stuff i thought. The track got a bit muddy toward Playford and there were a few tire tracks but i think locals getting to the paddock's there rather than green laners. I crawled past a few houses at the end almost silently. Back into 2WD and off i went chuckling to myself at the audacity of it all. I've always driven as far as possible off the tarmac to get to nice places but never with the knowledge that it was my RIGHT, nay my DUTY to do so!! This BOAT is the ONLY one on the OS map within 5 miles of Ipswich and very close to becoming impassable...

Cheers all
                            Neil

Comment

Working...
                            X