Tax disc location.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax disc location.

Hi does anyone know the laws on where the tax disc has to be located (normally bottom of the windowscreen on the offside) as i have just bought a gps receiver with external aerial which i want to place on the dashboard close to the lefthand side but the tax disc would obscure the clear line of site through the glass .Would it be legal to place the tax disc either on the right hand side/or top left hand side or even in the centre of the screen.
    thanks mark.s

As far as I know, the tax disc needs to be on the lower n/s left of the front windscreen. Saying that, I have seen plenty placed midway up the left of the screen and even at the top. I did see a combined GPS Aerial/Tax disc holder on eBay recently.

On the technical side, the tax disc will not effect the line of sight reception of your antenna because the disc is non conductive. I would have thought that the n/s windscreen surround would cause more problems. Unless the aerial needs to be mounted directly on the glass I would leave the Tax Disc where it is.

BTW. I am a radio engineer. If I can help give me a shout via the PM.

I have just re-read your post and you say it is designed to be mounted on the dash. Anywhere from left to right will be OK for the aerial. Centre, if you can manage it without obscuring your vison, would be best in my opinion.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

wow, never even knew there was a rule for the tax disc position. Having said that, i put it in the lower left corner of the screen on all 3 vehicles i've owned cos that just seemed logical and was out of my way.

Comment

Left n/s sure....as Mr Plod and Mr Yellow Line Inspector needs to check the disc as they walk past...so its got be nearest the pavement
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          Left n/s sure....as Mr Plod and Mr Yellow Line Inspector needs to check the disc as they walk past...so its got be nearest the pavement

but i always park drivers side in
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

i keep my quad bike on in a plastic bag under the seat so it doesn't get damaged or nicked!.... police seemed happy with that when i got stopped the other week!... but i know someone who got fined for having their tax sellotaped to the window cos it got defaced when they removed it for inspection!!... fussy buggers!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

When I was in the UK I always stuck my tax disc smack bang in the centre of the windscreen, right at the bottom. This is due to my old man's warning about rogues reaching in and lifting your road tax disc. Didn't make any difference to me as I had no problems from old bill and it always passed it's MOT. As long as it is clearly visible then I doubt if it matters exctly were it is.
              @africa4x4cafe
              [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X