Originally posted by ship
    you beat me to it pops

ship
    well phil is a little short you get him one too
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

Originally posted by devore
      Had a look Morr - theres a few alright! Can you tell me if they can be taxed as commercial vehicles in Ireland?
      Sort of, mine is a full passenger model, which the previous owner declared and changed to commercial, without removing seats, windows etc. You will often see them advertised as pass model with commercial tax. From this you can clearly see it can be done, but how easy it is to do yourself I've no idea, but I believe it can be quite tricky, also you would be signing a declaration that it will only be used for commercial purposes. If however you buy one that's already taxed commercially you do not have to personally make any such declaration.

Alternatively you could consider a pure commercial version if it suits your needs, this can be easier as it would be both taxed and insured commercially, many insurance companies will not give you private insurance if they know its commercially taxed, and will not give you commercial insurance if they know it has rear seats & windows .... Lots of fun! Then if you do succeed in insuring it privately, there is always a possibility the tax office will spot it and refuse to tax it commercially.

I’ve been ok so far, bought it with a year’s tax on it, and renewed this year having obtained private insurance with additional carriage of goods commercial extension. Tax office barely glanced at it, so no problems.

Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

So Morr where's the best place to source one of these babies?! Yours looks good in the photo...would it be worth heading to the UK for one?

Comment

It all depends on exactly what you're looking for.
          Generally speaking secondhand vehicles are undervalued here relative to the UK, so by the time you've paid duty etc, its probably cheaper to buy here. Secondhand vehicles tend to be better maintained in the UK, but they use salt on the roads which can lead to worse corrosion than here. Swings and roundabouts, it will really depend on what your budget is and which model you hope to get, and how much of a hurry you are in.
          Maurice

Comment

theres a nice 3rd Gen on autotrader in N.ireland for £5000

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...0&modelexact=1

tempted meeself.....

Comment

what are surfs like on the road?

I don't know what age truck you are looking at, but my 1990 surf is a manual 2.4T (2L-TE) and it has seen mainly road miles since i bought it in april (04) and is more comfortable than many of the cars i have driven, you always have a better view of the road ahead and there is a spacious feel to the interior. In slow/heavy traffic the diesel engine is easy to drive as it can be more forgiving when stopping and starting. The addition of being able to unlock the hubs by pushing a button on the side of the transfer box lever is very nice! i didn't like having to stop and get out of my old '85 four runner to switch them manually. On the road travelling in 5th at 50-60mph expect 30mpg. My figures ran from 14mpg to 48mpg (roughly) over 3000miles. At nearly 15 years of age the truck show no sign of age, and the only thing it needed was a £50 upper arm to pass it MOT.

Comment

Originally posted by nixismush
                ...... On the road travelling in 5th at 50-60mph expect 30mpg. My figures ran from 14mpg to 48mpg (roughly) over 3000miles......

Maurice

Comment

Ive driven and worked on different cars inc Porches and the red italian slippers, i got a 3.0 ssrg which has the fitted recaros and i love the way it drives its comfy you can sit up high and see further ahead which i definatly belive allevaites a lot of stress when driving around town etc.
                  I looked at about 20 surfs and drove a few, as io wasnt sure what to buy just had money burning hole in pocket. After i checked this site out and then test drove my beast it was (ready for the bucket) love at first sight!!
                  Be prepared to spend good money, cos like they say you get what you spend!!
                  or something like that lol.
                  Markjbl32

Comment

Originally posted by devore
                    I'm thinking of purchasing a surf at the moment. I've test driven one and it was lovely. However i'm only used to driving cars so i think the thrill of driving one masked what my head was saying! I intend to do some off roading and have a requirement for plenty of boot space. But what are Surf's like on the road? Are they as comfy as a car? Are they nice as a going-to and coming-home from work in traffic vehicle also? Any opinions really appreciated!

I've had all kinds of vehicle from sports cars to a lorry, a saloon to a bumpy fourtrak and I have to say that my 2nd gen is by far the most comfy.

I always got back ache in other cars but not in the surf. If you wants sports car performance you wont get it, but if you want a safe, comfy stylish ride then go for a surf!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X