What are Surfs like on the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Surfs like on the road?

I'm thinking of purchasing a surf at the moment. I've test driven one and it was lovely. However i'm only used to driving cars so i think the thrill of driving one masked what my head was saying! I intend to do some off roading and have a requirement for plenty of boot space. But what are Surf's like on the road? Are they as comfy as a car? Are they nice as a going-to and coming-home from work in traffic vehicle also? Any opinions really appreciated!

What are Surfs like on the road?

I have driven meany things, the surf does suffer the usual 4x4 thing of more body roll than a car and depending on what tyers you have this can be improved, however it is the best that I have seen/driven, you just have to drive a little different from a car, as for comfy......I get on better with my surf than the astra we have, Im 6'6" and just love driving mine, sitting in traffic is not fun but very comfy and I have the basic cloth interior, not the Recaro's.

Rob.
    Last edited by Orions_pop; 24 November 2004, 17:01.
    Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

very comfy, my astra gave me backache - i can do long drives in the Surf no worries.
      traffic I dont mind so much - although mine is auto which gives your left leg a rest.... only disadvantage you can usually see how long the queue is!!!
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

it is quite car like to drive, (i used to own a range rover, and that handled like a boat), also i find the low seats (in relation to the footwell) are excellent. i used to suffer from a circulation prob in the rear of my thigh muscle (gluteous maximus or buttock ) which lead to really painful cramps, the seating position in the surf has my legs more or less straight out, and i have yet to have any discomfort driving it, even on 200km+ runs.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I find it really comfy too and have done 200+ miles in one hit with no discomfort. I find it suprising how well it does drive, a mate of mine has a 98 shogun and that is really bad on the road. I think the surf actually handles quite well considering how tall it is and long wheelbase, i have given a few far smaller cars a hard time through the back lanes and enjoyed every minute of it!!
          If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
          I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

The road manners of the Surf are pretty good not too much roll in fast corners, supress minor bumps in the road surface ok...................problem I find in the 3rd Gen......the seats are uncomfortable.

I just can't get a good driving postion, only being 5ft6 also means the seats seem a little too low and they have poor side support.

So much so that I am looking into fitting some Recaro's if I can get any at the right price.

Comment

Originally posted by devore
              I'm thinking of purchasing a surf at the moment. I've test driven one and it was lovely. However i'm only used to driving cars so i think the thrill of driving one masked what my head was saying! I intend to do some off roading and have a requirement for plenty of boot space. But what are Surf's like on the road? Are they as comfy as a car? Are they nice as a going-to and coming-home from work in traffic vehicle also? Any opinions really appreciated!
              I sit in traffic for an hour twice a day, for the 13 mile trip out of Gosport to work in Waterlooville.

Once you get a decent radio (ie you can listen to other radio stations) ithe Surf is very comfy!
              I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
                The road manners of the Surf are pretty good not too much roll in fast corners, supress minor bumps in the road surface ok...................problem I find in the 3rd Gen......the seats are uncomfortable.

I just can't get a good driving postion, only being 5ft6 also means the seats seem a little too low and they have poor side support.

So much so that I am looking into fitting some Recaro's if I can get any at the right price.
                I'm 5'6" too. I had mine about eight months before I discovered the seat base angle adjuster which supports my thigh a little, it's so much more comfy. Mines the SSR-X with the sports seats. Now I have found all the adjustements I can see over the steering wheel too!!
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  I'm 5'6" too. I had mine about eight months before I discovered the seat base angle adjuster which supports my thigh a little, it's so much more comfy. Mines the SSR-X with the sports seats. Now I have found all the adjustements I can see over the steering wheel too!!
                  Driving a Surf automatically 'mannersup' other road users...........
                  Started with a beast now I have a beauty

Comment

I sit in traffic for an hour twice a day, for the 13 mile trip out of Gosport to work in Waterlooville
                    Rowner road or A 32?.... I go around Lee-on-Solent when im not going over the ferry on my bike.....
                    Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                      thought you got a booster seat from halfrauds phil
                      Enjoying Life after Cancer
                      Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
                        thought you got a booster seat from halfrauds phil

you beat me to it pops

ship

Comment

Great - thanks for all the replys folks - the Surf sounds just like the vehicle for me then! The search begins...difficult enough to find in Ireland!

Comment

Originally posted by devore
                            Great - thanks for all the replys folks - the Surf sounds just like the vehicle for me then! The search begins...difficult enough to find in Ireland!
                            Nah, not really, always a few in the good old Buy And Sell.....
                            Maurice
                            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Had a look Morr - theres a few alright! Can you tell me if they can be taxed as commercial vehicles in Ireland?

Comment

Working...
                              X