I need new tyres - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need new tyres - HELP

I need a new set of tyres urgently - have searched but still confused. The tyres supplied on my 3.0L diesel Surf 1993 are illegal (so I have been told) and also one of them is impossible to balance so I have a vibration problem.

I have 215*80*15 tyres on 15*6JJ - 30 Toyota rims.

The vehicle will be used mainly on the road and towing a trailer.

Can someone recommend what size tyres to get and a good make for the road.

Thanks

Karl
    Last edited by karlp; 22 October 2004, 15:43.

Originally posted by karlp
    I need a new set of tyres urgently - have searched but still confused. The tyres supplied on my 3.0L diesel Surf 1993 are illegal (so I have been told) and also one of them is impossible to balance so I have a vibration problem.

Thanks

Karl
    Karl.

Standard for the widebody Surf which I presume yours is, are 265/70/15 however it seems you don't have standard wheels - mine are 15x7 standard alloys.

Not sure if the 265x70s will fit your wheels however I would think you whould be able to get away with it.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks

Karl
      Yokohama Geolander are good road tyres... go for the 265/70/15 like lucky says if they fit your rims.. looks much better on the surf than the little boots...

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        Karl.

Standard for the widebody Surf which I presume yours is, are 265/70/15 however it seems you don't have standard wheels - mine are 15x7 standard alloys.

Not sure if the 265x70s will fit your wheels however I would think you whould be able to get away with it.

Cheers
        I believe that early Surfs were fitted with 215's on 6" rims as standard (including the 3.0) and 265's were an option. However I would agree that the bigger the better and 265 will run on the 6" rims with no problem.
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Thanks

Karl
          As those befor have said 265 70 15's should fit fine and as for type- road use at a reasonable price and good grip/low noise are the Yokohama Goelander, Bridgestone Dueller, or Hankook HT's.
          All are 80% min road tyres and are snow rated.
          You may also consider the Conway AT's, very reasonaly priced, high milage all terrain tyres that are quite quiet on the black stuff and if you venture off onto less solid surfaces, will grip well.

Personaly I run with the Bridgestone and am happy with them but would have had the Hankooks if I could have sourced them in time.

Hope this helps

Fish

ps. Watch the tyre pressure when fitting 265's on 6" rims, low pressure can be a big problem on wearing on the outer edges, High pressure wears away the centre.
          Last edited by Fish; 22 October 2004, 22:52.
          If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Working...
          X